You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

outline vs fill opacity

Hi,

i assume a bug:

when you

• use a vector shape,
  • fill it with white,
  • add a black outside outline (layer effects)
  • reduce the fill opacity

The fill gets darker and finally black (not expected).

Expected is fill gets transparent, but stays white. Instead, it gets the color of the outline.

When reaching 0% opacity, fill gets transparent (expected), but the outline is extended to the inside (wrong).

Spotted by my son in 1.8.5 and 1.9.0.932

Example file shows two linked vector shapes, one using stroke behaving correctly, one with outline mis-behaving. Linked so opacity affects both, and you can see the issue.

outline opacity issue.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

10 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

when you

• use a vector shape,
  • fill it with white,
  • add a black outside outline (layer effects)
  • reduce the fill opacity

The fill gets darker and finally black (not expected).

Not seeing any of that when I create a new document or use the one you supplied

Also, in the document you supplied you say the right shape has no stroke but it has the same size stroke as the left shape

You may need to upload a video showing what you see if no one else can confirm the problem you are having

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi Carl,

you are right, the right shape has a stroke too, but this has no impact. you can remove the stroke. I share a few screenshots with different opacity settings.

100%

image.thumb.png.fdb369483d939d8fcb5873f6dd39117c.png

80%

image.thumb.png.b9d242542e9a9052bd913db408fecba9.png

50%

image.thumb.png.264cb10bdfe27901bf3fb41a5795a0f9.png

10%

image.thumb.png.a7b27732ce7f750710a18bd07c79c3d4.png

0%:

The outline extends inwards, fill becomes transparentimage.thumb.png.1811682a0aa6011649b9d0ac6f9aa016.png

image.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Please ignore the "97%" image. i tried to edit the post and delete the image, but failed.

OK, I can see it now. You are changing the colour opacity

I was changing the Fill Opacity in the FX panel which works as expected

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I've uploaded a video with updated settings to make the bug even more obvious:

• Fill in blue
  • stroke in black
  • outline in red

1. When adjusting opacity of fill, fill uses color of outline effect (if outline is used)

2. When reaching 0% opacity for fill, outline is displayed as "center" instead of "outside"

2021-02-13_12-15-27.mkv outline opacity issue V2.afphoto

I see what's going on, and I don't think it's a bug, it's working as expected and designed. By moving the Opacity slider in the Color Panel is no different than changing the values of the RGB Sliders. Move all the RGB sliders to the far left and you get Black, ie; no colors. Since RGB is additive, taking those colors away leaves black. You're doing the same thing with the opacity slicer as if you were moving all 3 (RGB) sliders simultaneously. So the Opacity slider is the cumulative value of all three (RGB). 

I tested this using 2 rectangles, filled as you instructed, and yes moving the opacity to 0, yields black as it should. Now what I done, was on one rectangle, I moved the opacity to 50%. Then used the Color Picker to check the color, or rather the shade. It showed 50% Grey, the values in the RGB sliders displayed 128 each. I created another rectangle, and for the fill, changed to the Greyness mode, and set the value to 50. Using the color picker, checked the value, and it revealed 128 for each of the RGB color channels.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Hi Ron, 

thank you for commenting, but please allow me to emphasize my point this is buggy.

did you watch the video i’ve uploaded? Especially the final test using red outline? This contradicts your argument, which may work  within tight constraints, like grey color and fully transparent background, but not in general. 

The video clearly shows completely different behavior of the fill, depending on the outline yes/no, and non expected behavior. Mixing the fill within red (color of outline) is definitely not expected when reducing fill opacity, as no red outline should be inside the fill area.

Coming back to your argument: opacity (means: alpha channel) is completely independent from RGB channels, but: what you and the color picker sees is the result of blending all layers factoring in the alpha channel. Using grey 50 at 100% opacity is not the same as using white with 50% opacity, even if you get the same color picker values. When you place e.g. a green fill layer beneath, you can see the difference.  50 gray with 100% alpha stays grey, while white with 50%alpha lets the green fill shine through. 

Best regards, Timo

• 2 weeks later...