You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to get what must be one of the easiest tools to use in AP. The In painting brush fails to work at all for me, yes it red masks over the element I want to remove, but when I unclick, it either does absolutely nothing to the image, or it duplicates what is masked, I have repeated the task several times as shown  in tutorials, but still the same result, I must be completely missing an element, can't see why this is such a problem

Hi GeeJay,

Can you share a screenshot of your layer panel?  if possible the area you want to use the in-painting brush, too?

1. If it shows a image layer, you need to rasterize this to an pixel layer first (e.g. by "merge visible").
  2. Please check the pacity and flow, use 100% to start with
  3. Depending on your pixel layer, inpainting might not work well, and you may swicth to clone brusch, or patch tool instead, to have more control over what parts of the image are used to replace unwanted areas.

image.png.ac2be22e41aa54384b5aa091306398f1.png

image.thumb.png.910ebea8f21e157d65df577ca3cf9a57.png

Regards,

Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

All my settings are the same as in AP's tutorial, the image in the Layers panel is ( Background ) Pixel. there is never a mention in tutorials of having to rasterise before applying the brush tool, just make it more difficult to believe what their tutors are saying, the problem to me is the tutors, they know to much, but dont know how to get it simply across to others who have very little idea.

I think the problem may be to do with the backgrounds, on AP's tutorials, the backgrounds tend to be uncluttered, or a simple one ore two other tones, but when the background becomes more mixed and varied, the the inpatient brush tool is useless

Hi GeeJay, 

You only need to rasterize if you have to deal with an image layer. 

To be able to answer your original question, It would be great if you can share which tutorials you are referring too, and upload the document you are working on. 

Regards, Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi All who have tried to resolve my issue, Firstly I am following the AP Tutorials, on all that try to teach the use of the In Brush. Secondly in my Layers panel, there is only a ( Background ) Pixel layer, just the same a sin AP tutorials, And it appears to me this brush only works well when there is a less complicated background, I have tried it on other images, using exactly the method as shown, but with almost a single colour background, and it seems to work far better that a mixed up, multi coloured background.

Never a mention in AP's tutorials of having to rasterise anything at all, so confusing

2 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

Never a mention in AP's tutorials of having to rasterise anything at all, so confusing

You don't need to, for your scenario.

And the scenarios where you would need to are not specific to in-painting. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So why are other members even mentioning the fact of possibly having to rasterise

As I have said in my opening post, this should be the simplest tool to use, yet it does not work well for me at all, to enable me to simply cut out what I don't want in an image

51 minutes ago, GeeJay said:

So why are other members even mentioning the fact of possibly having to rasterise

Because you had not told us enough about your project, nor provided any screenshots to illustrate it, and they were suggesting one possible reason for your problem.

As you revealed more details, that eliminates some of the possible problem areas. The more info you give us, the more help we can provide, and the fewer wrong turns we will take.

Ideally you will provide a .afphoto file that you are having a hard time with, and we can experiment to reproduce the problem and find a solution. But without at least a screenshot of the problem we're all just guessing.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1