You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: No noise

Hi, to all.

It seems that the noise is not supported (see on the effects of tapes).

Bêta 1.9.1.952.

adhesif.afdesign

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

21 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

Hi, to all.

It seems that the noise is not supported (see on the effects of tapes).

Bêta 1.9.1.952.

adhesif.afdesign

It is there but not before intensity is almost maxed out and opacity gets closer to 100%

image.thumb.png.c469845b6eed53065f090d794a2dd735.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I have used the same settings as those proposed in a Photoshop tutorial. Which of the two softwares is thus right?

Tutorial: Draw a tape.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

53 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

I have used the same settings as those proposed in a Photoshop tutorial. Which of the two softwares is thus right?

Tutorial: Draw a tape.

They are both right this time. But different programs. 🙂

For starters, the noise algorithm in Designer is different, I believe. So you wont get that coarse harsh noise in Designer.  The noise algorithm in Designer builds a finer grain and I hope Serif will add other types of noise in the future. 

So... tutorials for Photoshop are better suited for... Photoshop and for general inspiration. In this case you can achieve the color and transparency effect in different ways but could add the noise using some pixel brush with low opacity or even better using a bitmap layer with the desired texture under the shape.

That will give you the freedom to separate the texture and noise from the FX meaning you can adjust its strength separately.  

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

As a further alternative to get more noise, I would use it with "File / Edit in Affinity Photo". There you then select your object, what should get the noise effect and would then use the live filter "Add noise".
Then you go back in the same way in Designer, ie "File / Edit in Affinity Designer".
The live filter can then also be used subsequently in Designer and transferred to other objects.

All right. I compared Affinity Designer (vector drawing) to Photoshop (raster drawing), because it's only on Photoshop that I found tutorials for grain settings.

However, I did not find how to use Affinity Photo either directly (by drawing a serration by hand) or from Affinity Designer (from the Persona). When I tried the Personna Photo, it seems that the essential result is to degrade the quality of the vector image created by Affinity Designer.

😀I start to dream that all the possibilities of managing the photographic grain (noise) seen in Affinity Photo are also found in Affinity Designer.

I had recently asked in the forum under feature requests and suggestions if it might be possible to add the live filters that you have in Affinity Photo to Designer, so you don't have to switch between Designer and Photo every time.
So far almost all live filters from Photo can be changed later in Designer. But unfortunately there was no answer if it would be possible.

Until then, unfortunately, you have to use the more cumbersome way, as I had shown in the video. Or you can do it the way Jowday described.

I created several brushes with noise effect in Photo and then added them in Designer under Pixel Persona.