You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I need to split/divide a curve in the center. How can I achieve such a simple task?

To clarify, I draw a rectangle and when I select the pen tool I can easily snap in the center of the lines. But when I convert the shape to curves and I pick the Node tool...the tool doesn't snap anymore so I have to estimate the center? All the snapping functions are active. Please have a look at my .gif (and ignore the silly mouse movement :-))

Like to hear from you how to split a curve/add a node in the exact middel.

snap.gif

Draw Rectangle, duplicate Rectangle, shrink second rectangle with snapping, first rectangle Convert to curve, Node tool, snap to second rectangle, delete second rectangle.

image.png.2099fd4e6bd3aa54a14878d112b46a62.png

Edit: Snapping to the centers of the sides of a rectangle works without the need to shrinking rectangle.
ll you have to do is have two duplicate rectangles, convert one of them (the front one, which you will then edit with the Node tool) to curves, and snap it to the back rectangle, which will then be deleted.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 minutes ago, EdGalahad said:

To clarify, I draw a rectangle and when I select the pen tool I can easily snap in the center of the lines. But when I convert the shape to curves and I pick the Node tool...the tool doesn't snap anymore so I have to estimate the center?

The way I do this is to add a node anywhere on the rectangle.  Then select all three nodes on that path.  Use the Alignment > Space Horizontally or Space Vertically to position the middle node in the center.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

5 minutes ago, Gear maker said:

The way I do this is to add a node anywhere on the rectangle.  Then select all three nodes on that path.  Use the Alignment > Space Horizontally or Space Vertically to position the middle node in the center.

I do not have a Alignment > Space H or V. There's an alignment under layers which is greyed out (makes sense), Alignment under the right mouse button has no spacing option, similar to the alignment buttons in the toolbar. Can you specify the location as this solution sounds the best.

4 minutes ago, EdGalahad said:

I do not have a Alignment > Space H or V. There's an alignment under layers which is greyed out (makes sense), Alignment under the right mouse button has no spacing option, similar to the alignment buttons in the toolbar. Can you specify the location as this solution sounds the best.

1552293182_ScreenShot2021-02-12at7_15_04AM.png.c5e9271851ae85ce8f46d34d1807e2ca.png

The center icon in the image above.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

8 hours ago, EdGalahad said:

I pick the Node tool...the tool doesn't snap anymore so I have to estimate the center? All the snapping functions are active.

Apparently not all yet:
Context toolbar > Snap: ade_node_snap.png.f1b916cc5a3b5f4edd07997692392a7c.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Context toolbar > Snap

Hm, that alone was not it:

What I had active was the grid, snap to grid, align, and context toolbar > Snap > Align To Nodes
That will at least show the values between nodes on a horizontal or vertical line.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2