You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Quick Start Guide (made for photographers)

Dechen

• Staff

I do not charge for my email address... sounds like it's both free and optional.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

optional.

Providing an email address and agreeing to receive the newsletter is not optional, if you want the guide :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It’s free in the same way that Facebook is free. As long as you understand that “you are the product,” it is most definitely optional, too.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

Warning: requires giving your email address and signing-up for a newsletter - and then the link to the PDF is emailed to you.

Sounds like it's time for another fake one-time use email address

Who shall I be this time?

I wonder if expresidenttrump@yahoo.co.uk is taken already?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

for your consideration...

https://10minutemail.com/

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

From a marketing perspective this is just a dumb newbie mistake. Often the majority of the actual real prospects come from the pass-along recipients, so getting the piece out to as many as possible is the goal. All this does is make the bounce rate huge and limit the reach.

If you want newsletter subscribers, put the articles on your website with an easy way to subscribe. Then potential subscribers can see the value (if any) and are actually interested in receiving it.

Wow, what a response. I didn’t mean to offend anyone. Actually, I have created a lot of free Affinity Photo articles over at my website. No signup required.

It is only an offer with the free quick start guide.

But expecting to receive everything for free without even leaving a way to keep in touch, leads to a lot of “starving” artists and photographers who spend maybe 8 hours or more on writing every single article. They will eventually stop sharing. Because there is no balance in the relationship when only one part is getting something. 

Just my thoughts. 

6 minutes ago, Dechen said:

there is no balance in the relationship when only one part is getting something. 

I don’t really have a dog in this fight. But I cannot help but comment that the statement quoted above is the very definition of defining a thing that is not free.

Hi smadell, 

I can see your point. I have edited the original post, and deleted the word free 🙂 

I personally, don't really consider giving my email as something being not free, because I can opt out, or simply not sign up in the first place if I consider that this is too much for me. But anyway, end of story, I deleted the free word. It seemed to take focus of what I wanted to share.

Hi @Dechen...  I agree that we seem to be arguing about how many angels can dance on the end of a pin. But the original response from LibreTraining makes a decent point – advertising that requires something in return can be a bit of a turn-off. I think that was the point that he reiterated about 4 posts up, indicating that advertising by way of a "free sample" should get into as many hands as possible.

I can only speak for myself, and I find that vendors who require me to create an account, leave an email, and so forth are at an immediate disadvantage. Just give me a sample of your product, and if I like it I will return to purchase the items that are not free. This was the point of posting the link to "10 Minute Email," which is a free (truly free) website created to get around just this sort of gotcha.

I believe that you will probably get more return (paying) customers if you do not require them to leave an email address, because you will get more potential customers to download the sample in the first place.