You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[READ BEFORE POSTING] Common issues found in the Affinity 1.9.0 Designer Windows update

• Staff

Below is a list of common issues affecting the latest Affinity Designer update for Windows (1.9.0), which are already fixed in the latest beta builds:
[If you are seeing one of these problems PLEASE DO NOT REPORT THEM AGAIN

• Fixed scaled text frame changing text size when grouped.
  • App crash when printing document that has multiple (Designer) artboards
  • Fixed PDF passthrough failing to work on multi-page documents.
  • Crashing when clicking My Account to register app
  • App crashes on Startup due to broken OpenCL drivers
  • Performance problems when Paragraph Panel is visible
  • App crashes or hangs when opening some specific 1.8.x documents 
  • Fixed being unable to create custom export presets for PDF export
  • Fixed JPEG and TIFF export filter descriptions (was confusingly "Affinity Files")
  • Fixed "Copy As SVG" option preventing Affinity data being added to the clipboard 
  • Fixed Export Preview scaling issues
  • Purple/Magenta outlines after deselecting objects? Read this
  • Disabled hardware acceleration for AMD Radeon RX 5000 series and later cards (awaiting response to bug filed with AMD)
  • Fixed asset dragging performance for some assets

These issues (and other less common ones) have been addressed in the latest 1.9.1 betas and will be released as a patch to customers very soon. You can find links to the latest beta builds in the below links:

Problems registering Affinity apps

• Some users have been getting the message "Error while constructing request of parsing server's response".
  • Some users have been getting the message "schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown Error".
  • The app is crashing for some users when trying to register the app. There are two possible causes:
    • If you are using a 20H2 machine, you can try changing the default Windows colour profile from scRGB virtual device model profile to sRGB IEC61966-2.1
    • If you are not using a 20H2 machine, or if the above does not resolve the issue, a simple workaround is to download and install the beta build and sign into your account using the beta build. Once you've done this, you should find that you can sign into the released version without any issues. Feel free to uninstall the beta build once signed into your account.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

maybe this is a rookie question, but how do i get the latest version to update? i am currently running 1.9.0.932, your latest releases has 967 i believe.  so how do i get the most up to date version? and how do i know which one from the few you put out there, how do i know which one is best for my system?  

thanks

23 minutes ago, joseaffinityuser said:

maybe this is a rookie question, but how do i get the latest version to update? i am currently running 1.9.0.932, your latest releases has 967 i believe.  so how do i get the most up to date version? and how do i know which one from the few you put out there, how do i know which one is best for my system?  

1.9.0.932 is the latest retail release of 1.9.0. You can find the latest retail releases from that link after Patrick's signature above, Latest releases on each platform.

There are beta releases of 1.9.1 currently available, and you can find them for Windows from Patrick's post above,  Affinity Range Windows Beta Release Notifications. The betas are intended for testing, but in situations like 1.9.1 fixing issues in 1.9.0 they are sometimes recommended for production use, too, to help users resolve the issues quickly.

The official 1.9.1 releases should be out this week, from other posts that I've seen from Serif. So if you're not being troubled by any of the issues that 1.9.1 fixes, you might just stay on 1.9.0 until 1.9.1 is formally released. Otherwise you could install the 1.9.1 beta alongside 1.9.0, and test or experiment with it to see if it works better for you than 1.9.0 does.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So if I encounter any crash that involves printing a document with multiple art boards, no-one wants to know the detail (e.g. not even the context and what user action triggers the crash)?
It doesn't help that I have a file and a very short user sequence that does it 100% of the time?

Just now, waitepb said:

So if I encounter any crash that involves printing a document with multiple art boards, no-one wants to know the detail (e.g. not even the context and what user action triggers the crash)?
It doesn't help that I have a file and a very short user sequence that does it 100% of the time?

If you try the latest customer beta, and confirm it's fixed there, then there is no need to report your artboard document crash. If it's something different, then yes, please do report the details 🙂

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

If you try the latest customer beta, and confirm it's fixed there, then there is no need to report your artboard document crash. If it's something different, then yes, please do report the details 🙂

I was unaware of this, I've tried it and my issue is fixed. Thanks I'll know to look for this option in the future.