You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(Re)Question about importing editable text in *.eps

Hi everyone !
Just a quick question/request as there are numerous topics in the older forums already over the last 3+ years (moved my question as I've noticed that the other forum is deprecated, the old post can be deleted):

Is there any news about importing editable text in *.eps files? 
I've bought Affinity Designer a few days ago and now searched the forums after struggling with the non-editable text in those files...

If not: That would make a great feature request😂
Affinity Designer is really an awesome tool but this is a core thing (in my opinion) as most of the *.eps templates we're working with require text editing 😕

Thanks and best regards 😊

Edited by Ondeth

10 minutes ago, Ondeth said:

Is there any news about importing editable text in *.eps files?

Still AD converts text in EPS to curves. What about converting EPS to PDF with Distiller or any other converter?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

or any other converter?

On Mac, I'd usually convert EPS to PDF via the good ole Preview.app before doing anything else. I even have set Preview as the default app for EPS. Especially since Ill-Frustrator CS5 refuses to open EPS files created with a newer version of itself. Just make sure to have all the fonts active before opening the EPS: to find out, simply open the EPS with any text editor, the postscript font names are listed right in the header as plain text. Then save as PDF, then open with Designer. Note that e.g. text originally on path in your layout was split into individual one-character-per-text-frame objects to preserve appearance in EPS. So you may need to rebuild those paths anyway.

Just tested it with an EPS of mine from 1997, created likely with Freehand 5.

That aside, exporting EPS with editable text was in fact always a bad idea to begin with, already 20 or more years ago… ;)  Embedding the fonts didn't always work as expected either. Eventually I'd realized that and exported only vector outlines instead, before moving on to PDF export for good with InDesign 2 & co.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2