You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preflight: Non-proportional scaling and decimal units

Joachim_L

Although this behaviour is existing for a "few" versions, this "bug" happened to me again today and I want to report it now.

Preflight is on with warning for non-proportional scaling on an image reporting that the size is 14,8% x 14,5%. Clicking on the picture frame or the image itself I get the information from the context toolbar, that the scale is 15% x 14%. So I remove the lock and change 14% to 15% and I still get a warning from Preflight about 14,8% x 15%. So I have to fill 15% for both or changing 14,5% to 14,8%. So showing decimal units in the scale box are needed.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

AFPUB 1.10.4; OSX 10.15.7

Just want to add to this thread, what I feel is some additional information. Sorry if this is reported elsewhere, but I could not locate it in the forum.

Preflight pops up with many photos (only) showing non-proportional scaling.

Steps to reproduce this related bug:

1. In Preflight, choose one of the non-proportional items (photo). In my case they are all photos inside picture frames.

2. The photo is highlighted inside a picture frame on the Layers panel and the offending photo is displayed on a spread in the main window space.

3. On the Layers panel, highlight/select the picture frame for that photo instead of the photo itself.

4. In the Context Menu, choose Properties / Scale to Max fit - OR - Scale to Min fit. Note that this does scale the photo to correct proportions regardless of the frame size.  (In fact, if you cancel the preflight and run it again at this point, this photo will NOT show up as non-proportional).  [Little "nit" - the preflight is not accurate again (continues to show the same photo) until you quit it and restart the preflight - this takes extra time to resolve each error. It would be helpful for preflight to be immediately updated when one corrects the non-proportional photo or other preflight warning.]

5. After scaling to fit as shown above, now go to the picture frame slider underneath the frame and slide it to the right to enlarge the image within the frame. This *should* scale up the photo proportionally.

6. Save file and try the export again.

7. Preflight shows that this photo is still non-proportional.

It appears, then, that enlarging or changing the photo size with the picture frame slider (underneath) causes a non-proportional photo every time.

• 5 months later...

I too am having this issue.  The fix given is to shift key and double-click one of the side handles.  I'm still trying to figure out what a side handle is.  So far I can't get this error to go away.

On 7/30/2022 at 12:09 PM, K.H. said:

The fix given is to shift key and double-click one of the side handles.  I'm still trying to figure out what a side handle is.  So far I can't get this error to go away.

The picture ratio could've somehow changed while manipulating your photos.

It is very important that you understand that adjusting the photo and adjusting the picture frame are two different things. They are two different "objects."

If you hover your mouse cursor over the preflight warning you will be given a tip, "this can be fixed by shift double-clicking one of the side handles."
If your picture is within a picture frame, place your cursor over the photo and double-click it. This will activate the photo. With the picture "active", position your cursor over one of the side nodes (round circle on the box / left or right one) like preflight suggested until it turns into a double arrow and then double-click. Your photo will bounce back into its original width to height ratio.

Thanks PixelEngineer for that useful information.

As I read through this, I think there are two separate issues to consider. One is the scaling of the document and resulting changes to picture frames/photos. The other is the use of the frame "slider" that can enlarge a photo within its frame (presuming the photo was set to its normal aspect ratio beforehand with the provided tools to fit to max or min, etc.).

In the second case, I had use the "slider" to enlarge a picture within its frame to highlight a portion of the picture - something like cropping.

I guess I'd like to know if that second issue can be "fixed" with the "side-handle" trick?  Should these two issues be separated out from one another?

29 minutes ago, thetasig said:

The other is the use of the frame "slider" that can enlarge a photo within its frame (presuming the photo was set to its normal aspect ratio beforehand with the provided tools to fit to max or min, etc.).

I'm pretty sure that slider wouldn't cause that problem, as it scales the image properly. In my experience that Preflight message means you manually resized an image without maintaining its aspect ratio.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Like walt said it wouldn't cause that problem.

The situation can occur if you though is if you were sizing the picture frame but was stretching the photo instead ever so slightly where you may have not notice but preflight warns you about. No big deal. 
The good news is that this is easily fixed by using that technique.

BTW, I had to revise my comment earlier regarding resizing the document outside the 1:1 ratio. It seems that the photos keep their original ratio under that scenario and will work just fine. 

• 7 months later...