You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Took two minutes to test in Designer to Publisher. This is for a Paragraph style. Save your Designer document and then import the styles into Publisher using the Import Text Styles from the little hamburger menu in the upper right corner.

Similar for the Styles, export then import.

Edit Please disregard this useless advice, (thanks for point it out R C-R)

I would think not. You can open IDML files but not to the best of my knowledge the various  styles you can export from Indesign. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce, isn't the OP asking about importing from InDesign, not AD?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

See:

Importing InDesign documents

Affinity Publisher can import InDesign files that have been saved in IDML (InDesign Markup Language) format, which is available in InDesign CS4 and later. With earlier versions of InDesign, you can export documents to PDF and then import that format directly into Affinity Publisher.

The dpi (dots per inch) setting of the resulting Affinity Publisher document is decided as follows:

• If the imported IDML file does not contain linked or embedded raster resources with their own dpi settings, the document is set to 300 dpi if it's a CMYK document or 72 dpi if it's an RGB document.
  • If the imported IDML file contains linked or embedded raster resources, the document is set to whichever of 72, 96, 144, 192, 300, 400 and 600 dpi is closest to the highest dpi setting of all those resources.

A document's dpi setting can be changed at any time in File>Document Setup.

Supported IDML features

The following features of IDML files are honored upon import into Affinity Publisher:

• Facing two-page spreads
  • Master pages
  • Automatic page numbering
  • Bleed settings
  • Document grid and guides
  • Text frame and picture frame properties
  • Text styles
  • Missing resource warnings (fonts and placed content)
  • Tables
  • Blend modes

Text variables, aside from page numbering, are converted to text.

To import an Adobe InDesign (IDML) file:
  1. From the File menu, select Open.
  2. Select an IDML file and click Open.
  3. If linked resources are not found, Publisher will ask whether you want to locate them. You can click:
    • Yes to locate missing resources one at a time.
    • Resource Manager to review missing resources and locate only those required at this time.
    • No to open the document without locating anything. Items can be located later by selecting Document>Resource Manager.
  4. If the document uses fonts that are unavailable, Publisher will warn you and provide a shortcut to Font Manager, where you can make substitutions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

8 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

it does not answer my question

Publisher will likely look at the InDesign styles you're importing and attempt to convert every parameter that match its own features. It will – logically – ignore anything that it can't do.

In other words:

11 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

Is it possible to create special para and object styles in InDesign, and import them in Publisher?

Why don't you simply try whatever it is you want to import yourself?
You'll see the result on the spot and then you can make your own conclusion.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, loukash said:

Publisher will likely look at the InDesign styles you're importing and attempt to convert every parameter that match its own features. It will – logically – ignore anything that it can't do.

In other words:

Why don't you simply try whatever it is you want to import yourself?
You'll see the result on the spot and then you can make your own conclusion.

Attempt to convert is very interesting. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

an IDML with para styles that have nested styles

Been there done that.
It was quite a mess, even though APu likely tried its best. :D

Eventually I opted to rebuild them from scratch while using formatting features and workflows that ID CS5.5 actually doesn't even have.

8 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

object styles

Sadly, no go. From what I read here, it's been on the feature requests list since years.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

34 minutes ago, loukash said:

Been there done that.
It was quite a mess, even though APu likely tried its best. :D

Eventually I opted to rebuild them from scratch while using formatting features and workflows that ID CS5.5 actually doesn't even have.

Sadly, no go. From what I read here, it's been on the feature requests list since years.

To rebuild them from scratch while using formatting features and workflows, may challenge my well being. Until Publisher catches up, I can use ID. Oh well, Rome was not...

17 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

Until Publisher catches up

It depends on what you need.

In the aforementioned project, I had to work with tables in InDesign CS5.5 to get the layout effect I needed, with all the hassle it takes to regularly import 3rd party text files into those tables via XML which is even more a p.i.t.a. with ID CS5.5.

Now, while table support in APu is, uh, rather "rudimentary" compared to ID, and XML support is nonexistent, I was able to recreate the exact appearance just by using character and paragraph styles paired with a few nifty Flow Options rules. "Fake tables", so to speak :). The lady who is pre-editing the text can now leave her rather clunky XML Notepad behind and edit in Word/Excel, whatever she likes because now I can import as plain text and format just as quickly with regex help via Find & Replace as I did with XML-tags-to-styles import. (That said, I would really love to see XML support in Affinity soon!)

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

It depends on what you need.

In the aforementioned project, I had to work with tables in InDesign CS5.5 to get the layout effect I needed, with all the hassle it takes to regularly import 3rd party text files into those tables via XML which is even more a p.i.t.a. with ID CS5.5.

Now, while table support in APu is, uh, rather "rudimentary" compared to ID, and XML support is nonexistent, I was able to recreate the exact appearance just by using character and paragraph styles paired with a few nifty Flow Options rules. "Fake tables", so to speak :). The lady who is pre-editing the text can now leave her rather clunky XML Notepad behind and edit in Word/Excel, whatever she likes because now I can import as plain text and format just as quickly with regex help via Find & Replace as I did with XML-tags-to-styles import. (That said, I would really love to see XML support in Affinity soon!)

Publisher is getting better all the time. Do you know if they are working on a user manual? How about a PDF?
The Workbook is nice, but does not cover all the fine points. I have the large, thorough ID book.