You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are there any Litho printers in the UK taking files from Affinity

Just wondering. Why would you want to send an open file format (like InDesign or Affinity files) to a printing service? This is a pretty reliable source for creating many troubles and problems for print.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

58 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Just wondering. Why would you want to send an open file format (like InDesign or Affinity files) to a printing service? This is a pretty reliable source for creating many troubles and problems for print.

I’m new to all this - so what would you hand over to print? Can you be specific? 

Any format which isn't supposed to be editable by nature, usually it's PDF for printing services. For example, if you send an open file format like AF's files with text in it, the service would also need the same fonts you used on your system. This might cause copyright issues, if you send them a commercial font. This problem aside, the "same" font might behave slightly different on different systems...

This is just one example why it's better to present a closed format (like PDF) to the printing services. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Yes, I get that but as I’m producing a simple poetry chapbook in the first instance - I will be supplying specific fonts to the printer and definitely getting a proof. 

Seeing as a lot of printers are now supplying InDesign templates etc I just wondered if there were any that handled affinity files in the same way.

If this can be done via PDF then I’d be just as happy but same things would apply - I’d not be parting with any further money unless I had a proof first. 

What would be useful on here would be a list of reliable printers. 

You might find some print shops that have it but I doubt few if any are using it to replace Indesign. I have the full suite of Affinity software but I only purchased to test and compare as the price is very cheap and I think this has the most potential to eventually give Adobe some competition.

The best thing to supply your printer with is PDF's with bleeds and crop marks. Here in Canada the standard is .125" of bleed, I am sure it is something similar in the UK. If you are doing all the setup and just supplying a print ready file then this is the way to go. If they are setting it up then I would just supply your text in Word and let them do the rest. Now if your printed could work with Affinity Publisher and you were going to be sending a working file the ideal would be to package your Publisher file. This pulls everything needed, fonts, linked images, etc. It is in the latest beta I believe. 

I would look for reputable printers but not sure any are going to put work into prepping and getting you a proof and not expecting some payment, at least for time and the proof itself. We certainly would not put the time in just for you to be unhappy with the print for some reason and then walk away to go somewhere else. A good printer will work with you, listen to your concerns and advise. If you are unreasonable in what you want for the price you will be knocking on a lot of doors. 

20 minutes ago, eyebeams said:

Seeing as a lot of printers are now supplying InDesign templates etc I just wondered if there were any that handled affinity files in the same way.

Check their requirements for sending layouts. Most provide a template for you to create your work, but request a PDF as printable source.

Other than that, I'm with @wonderings, try to find a printing SERVICE. It might look more expensive at first, if you pay for services, advice and so on. But you'll pay much more with a discount printing "service", if you don't know how to produce exactly, what they need. Latter will charge you for the result, no matter if it's even remotely like what you ordered. A good service might be more expensive, but will help people with creating a usable sources for print.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

Thanks everyone for the advice - yes I would pay for a proof anyway whatever the case but a more rounded service sounds a good way to go. I know exactly the market I'm aiming for and it will not involve fashion or even making a moderate profit - it's poetry ffs! 

The quality of the product - both the written word and the final outcome, i.e. look of book and typesetting, are the main criteria at this stage. The networking, marketing, reviewing et al I have got covered as a very long term project.

I guess I will work my way through all the Publisher tutorials to get the basics and then hire InDesign for a couple of months as well to get the general look and feel so I know what I'm talking about in the first place even before I get to the service bit.

I'm in no hurry and will take my time over a finished product - I have the luxury of doing that.

I'll also hunt around and ask other small presses whose publications I like, how they are doing, the local mechanics  I guess. I do want something more than Word though, to typeset the thing. 

Thanks once again for the advice - very, very useful. 

E

4 hours ago, eyebeams said:

Thanks everyone for the advice - yes I would pay for a proof anyway whatever the case but a more rounded service sounds a good way to go. I know exactly the market I'm aiming for and it will not involve fashion or even making a moderate profit - it's poetry ffs! 

The quality of the product - both the written word and the final outcome, i.e. look of book and typesetting, are the main criteria at this stage. The networking, marketing, reviewing et al I have got covered as a very long term project.

I guess I will work my way through all the Publisher tutorials to get the basics and then hire InDesign for a couple of months as well to get the general look and feel so I know what I'm talking about in the first place even before I get to the service bit.

I'm in no hurry and will take my time over a finished product - I have the luxury of doing that.

I'll also hunt around and ask other small presses whose publications I like, how they are doing, the local mechanics  I guess. I do want something more than Word though, to typeset the thing. 

Thanks once again for the advice - very, very useful. 

E

If you are planning on setting up yourself to save paying someone else to design, you can do it all in Publisher. I would skip an Adobe subscription as it really is not needed for this type of work. What I would do is talk with the printer you are planning on using, pick their brain. Let them know what sheet size you want and let them tell you if that is a good size or if they have a better suggestion that is more economical for print. I would also ask their recommendation for margins and any specific requirements they would need. I am assuming you are looking for a perfect bound book so you need to keep in mind when the book is open and how close text is to the spine. If you are wanting them to set it up then I would stick to word and let them format and do it all their way from scratch, I know that is what I prefer rather than trying to figure out what the client has done in an app I don't use. This type of book would be printed digitally, especially at low volumes. It would cost a fortune if more than a few pages to run on a press. 

1 hour ago, wonderings said:

If you are planning on setting up yourself to save paying someone else to design, you can do it all in Publisher. I would skip an Adobe subscription as it really is not needed for this type of work. What I would do is talk with the printer you are planning on using, pick their brain. Let them know what sheet size you want and let them tell you if that is a good size or if they have a better suggestion that is more economical for print. I would also ask their recommendation for margins and any specific requirements they would need. I am assuming you are looking for a perfect bound book so you need to keep in mind when the book is open and how close text is to the spine. If you are wanting them to set it up then I would stick to word and let them format and do it all their way from scratch, I know that is what I prefer rather than trying to figure out what the client has done in an app I don't use. This type of book would be printed digitally, especially at low volumes. It would cost a fortune if more than a few pages to run on a press. 

Thanks again - I'm not entirely new to typsetting - I used to typeset a poetry listings mag back in th 80s - this would be a lot simpler. It is entirely the handoff and outcomes that worry me the most.

Yes, I think a useful dialogue with a receptive printer or printing service would be good. I'm starting with simple pamphlets and working towards chapbooks and a full blown publication. So the print runs and what types of printing will obviously reflect that. In terms of marketing, it's such a small closed world that any kind of numbers would be very much on the low side. The convos here have clarified a lot of things.

Thanks once again.

E