You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Multiple Data Merge layouts on the same page

Is it possible to have two different data merge layouts on the same page? I have tried using two data merge sources but there is no way that I can see to link a layout to a datasouce.  If I have "First Name" as a field in both sources, it seems to conflict.  Plus, it seems like when I change the record preview on the first data source to a different record, it updates both data layouts. 

I think you would be best served by making one source in which ever spreadsheet or database application you have.

Consider what you are asking for.... 

Is publisher supposed to generate pages with the data from record 1 in MergeThis_1.csv containing data from records 1 to 24 in MergerThis_2.csv before moving to record 2 in MergeThis_1.csv and repeating the records 1 to 24 in MergerThis_2.csv?

What happens with MergerThis_2 having 24 more records than MergeThis_1

There are many more pitfalls 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I don't see it that way.  I have a page split into two large containers.  In the left, I have a data layout that has 8 rows and 2 columns, connected to datasource 1.  In the right side, I have another data layout connected to datasource 2.  They function independent of each other and spit out different sets of data...I think to solve this, there would need to be a way to specify what datasource is tied to a data layout and then most of the pitfalls go away.

Look, I'm a software engineer and I'm fully willing to admit that I'm thinking like a programmer and not a desktop publisher, and perhaps I'm using this thing for something it wasn't intended for.  That said, it doesn't hurt to ask these types of questions.  I don't know if there's simply a setting I missed or if perhaps I spark some kind of idea to the Serif team and they decide to adopt it as a feature.  

This is currently a very simple One data set merge function. Time will tell if it changes, I am a firm believer in horses for courses, meaning if I want to merge three or two or nineteen datasets then I would use tools designed for that type of work.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I get it, but you also don't know my use case.  Again, I'm using this software differently than most might, so I understand there are limitations.  I use it for designing cards for sports games.  I used to use NanDeck and Excel.  However, with Data Merge, APub does 99% of what I need more efficiently and with more ease.  Occasionally I see a need and I ask if it's possible, and if not, no worries. I've been able to solve most things.

Yeah, there are other tools out there that can do this, but none are as easy to work with, and my gaming group members are also owners of APub so being able to share between us is a draw.  My friend always says "It looks like a Chevy but we're gonna drive it like a Cadillac."  I freaking love APub.  It's made my workflow so much better and Data Merge makes that possible.  I'm always going to push the limits and I'm not switching to other software due the aforementioned reasons.  

This won't be the last time I hop on here asking if it can do XYZ, but you won't find me complaining about it if can't since I know I'm using it differently than most.  I'm always a fan of discussion and potentially, one of the serif devs might just say "yeah, that would be an easy update!"

I did, and that's why I thought it was possible...for some reason, I couldn't get what I was doing to work.  I'm going to give it another shot tonight, thanks Bryce!! I may be a new member to the community, but I'll sing Affinity's praises and their business model over and over again.

45 minutes ago, Bryce said:

It shows using to different data sources simultaneously.

33 minutes ago, sweethoss said:

I did, and that's why I thought it was possible...

Thanks for the heads up about the tutorial it is quite good, bit of a quibble though. She shows how to use the same csv file (One data source) in two separate cases within the same Publisher document. I now understand your confusion sweethoss.

I use variable data print in some jobs in my work, a print shop, in prepress area. I use Indesign for simple jobs, and planet press design and planet press production for complex jobs. But i tested a affinity publisher, a simple test with two data sources but same files renamed with two different names:

test1.csv

test2.csv

I imported the two files, and in page two of document i use the test1.csv for place data in fields on data merge layout tool with lines and coluns, exemple: name, age, color...

and

in page three i use the same fields but located in teste2.csv and more one field: a photo adress. And program has generated the content of test1.csv in page two normally, and in the page three and four the photo with fields respectives for the photo informations.

ok...the point is the method of decided use repeat page option. For correct show this i choose the test1.csv to use in page two and repeat only in page two of two. And on page three i choose to use the test2.csv and choose repeat on three of three page only, and automatic the page four has created when i a have needed to show the next data of test2.csv. In same time the page two showing only the data with i needed.

Ok...sorry for the english, im brazilian and the explication is complicated in my language, in english looks more dificult to explain.

Resume: The repeat option i believe is the key of work with more of one data files, but i need to test more times.

So, I was able to get this to work, but only if you restrict the data source to a certain page...same as how they did it in the video.  There doesn't seem to be a way currently to have two data layouts filled from different data sources on the same page.  Maybe a future feature!

• 1 year later...

I solve any multiple data issues this way:  I added the second data file as an extra data columns to the original file. If same column name exist (my case), I just name left the original as is "NAME" and where the second data file had the same column I named "NAME II". This way dealing with a single data file gave me the flexibility to do the layout and output exactly as I needed. Hope this will help ....