You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can linked publisher files share paragraph styles with main document?

Hi there,

I have a publisher document, which contains a linked publisher file.The headings are formatted with "Heading 1" and the bodies with style "Fancy Body" respectively. The main document and the linked document each have their own set of paragraph styles, so the text is formatted differently, which is absolutely clear.

I'm wondering if it is possible to optionally tell publisher to use the paragraph styles from the main document also in the linked document (thus disabling the local versions in the linked document)?

Thanks in advance

Screenshot.png.7bd88423361c6f8df750d652389fd36c.png

Linked_document.afpub Main_document.afpub

1 hour ago, max1josef said:

I'm wondering if it is possible to optionally tell publisher to use the paragraph styles from the main document also in the linked document (thus disabling the local versions in the linked document)?

No. They are separate documents, and the linked document has its own settings.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No. They are separate documents, and the linked document has its own settings.

I feared that...

I was thinking of a concept, similar to the master documents in Libre Office, which can contain several sub documents (as described here). Even if the paragraph styles (templates as they are called in Libre Office) are defined differently in the sub documents, they are formatted consistantly within the master document.

What I would use this for is, for example, a collection of song lyrics. Each song is saved in a separate file. This way I can create different collections of songs (e.g. a document containing all Metallica-songs and another one containing a collection of ballades from different musicians. "Nothing_else_mattes.afpub" would appear in both of them and its formatting would adapt to the respective master document.

Maybe it's worth posting a feature request (or is there already on?).

3 hours ago, max1josef said:

I'm not sure if there is one already, or not.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, max1josef said:

There are a number requests for a "book" feature with chapters.

That is similar to what the LibreOffice master document is doing. The sub-documents are effectively imported into the master and acquire its styles. I say "effectively" because they can remain as separate files. Or they can be actually merged.

You can import or merge your other document to merge the styles.