You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrest Aero

Please get rid of Affinity's need to have Aero activated to install and used. I hate how Aero interferes with my work. I pause for a moment to check written material, or answer someone's question, or even take a bite of a sandwich and have good chew doing it. BOING! Aero activates a screen saver, or goes blank depending on which theme is running. It's annoying. Especially when you stop to take a closer look at your work and are trying to decide if it's acceptable or whether to further modify it. Supremely annoying. Please get divorce Affinity's from Aero.

I know Affinity uses DWM, just get rid of the Aero requirement. I have a dislike for Windows 10, so stubbornly stay with Win7. My wife has Win10, and it does things she doesn't like either. Unselected features sneakily return. Dialog boxes swiftly popup and disappear before you can react (spying?). Settings get changed unasked for. Win7 doesn't do this. But talking to you, I just remembered how I got Affinity to install. I complied with the demand to activate Aero. Then went back to my regular solid color non-Aero desktop selection. Affinity did work, or seemed to. So that implies Affinity could function without Aero, just get rid of it altogether, especially the demand to activate Aero just to install Affinity. I hate arm-twisting, which is another reason I haven't migrated to Windows 10.

@Krout I am with you all the way.  I have a company-supplied machine with Windows 10 (fancy-schmancy Aero/theme features turned off) and a personal Windows 7 machine (which will remain that way as long as I can manage it).  On the Windows 7 machine, I've modified the start menu shortcuts for the Affinity suite apps with the unsupported --no-dwm-warning command line parameter.  This works fine for me, although you have to launch the Affinity apps from the start menu; you cannot click on an Affinity file to launch the corresponding app on W7.

We can place a certain amount of responsibility at the feet of Microsoft, as they did not allow DWM and Aero to be separated in Windows 7.  It's the DWM functionality that Affinity wants to access, IIRC.

11 minutes ago, sfriedberg said:

It's the DWM functionality that Affinity wants to access, IIRC.

Precisely so.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)