You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Personna - Major Issues

We might need to see the layout of your document layers to help further.
It helps if we can see what you are working on and how the layers are arranged.
A full-screen screen-grab showing your Layers Panel expanded so we can see the layer(s) in question usually helps.
In the meantime, check your brush Opacity is not 0% and make sure you are not painting onto an Adjustment layer.

Thanks for the responses, guys. 

While I appreciate your suggestions, the items you mentioned are not the problem.
The layer is not locked, nor transparent, nor alpha protected.

My ability to paint on pixel layers has never been an issue prior to yesterday.
I'm truly flummoxed, and frustrated at being stalled out. 

I have taken/included a screenshot, as requested.

Affinity Designer -- program screenshot.jpg

From the screenshot, your pixel layer is clipped inside the "fingers hand R" Curve layer.

Where are you trying to paint?  You can only paint within the bounds of that layer due to the clipping. (Maybe you know that, of course, but when things aren't working it can help to review the basics, sometimes.)

According to the pixel layer's thumnail you have painted along the lower edge of that hand. Also, what brush are you using? You might try one of the solid basic brushes as a start.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, Walt.

I appreciate the suggestion. I am a seasoned digital artist, and have used Affinity Designer since its' inception. 
(Actually used Serif's "DrawPlus", before that. 😊)

I tried a multitude of brushes, even though I fully suspected that wasn't the issue. None work.
Even if I add a pixel layer outside of any shape, it doesn't show what I paint with my brush.

This has occurred after I updated to the newer software release, so it would make sense that it's some kind of bug in the 1.9v.

I figured I'd try to install the prior (stable/non-beta) 1.8.5 version, but it gave me a 'this is an older version' error upon doing so.
I really don't want to uninstall then reinstall, since it would mean having to import all my brushes again.

There are a couple of things you could try

a.is protect alpha selected on context bar
b. check brush opacity/layer opacity
c. are you painting with the same colour of the parent object (this one catches me out!)
d. are you trying to paint with a background colour
e. is the layer you are trying to paint selected
f. sometimes I get caught out by trying to paint in an object only to find out its not selected and I am painting somewhere else on the page
g. is there something selected?

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1