You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello
I am designing an illustrated book of about 240 pages;
I divided it into sections of 12 side by side pages to make the job more streamlined.

Of this work I will also have to make the index for which I am marking the various items, references etc. so far everything is going well, but a doubt has arisen and I stopped waiting for your authoritative clarification:

I don't find how to put these sections together in a sort of 'Publication' to extract the index;
I hope I explained myself; what is the right procedure?

Help is greatly appreciated ...

I think you need to put the book together (Document > Add Pages from File) and develop the index in the merged publication. But it's possible that very few people have tried this yet, and therefore there's little relevant practical experience to offer. It is likely that you can insert the index marks in the individual documents, but the actual insertion of the index would need to be done in the merged document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi walt,

therefore, do you think that even if I started to layout by making single files of each section, to extract the index then I will necessarily have to reunite them to form the final book.
Don't you think there will be difficulties in manipulating a 250-page book full of (linked) illustrations?

Thanks for the much appreciated help ...

3 minutes ago, foto-grafic said:

I will necessarily have to reunite them to form the final book.

Yes.

3 minutes ago, foto-grafic said:

Don't you think there will be difficulties in manipulating a 250-page book full of (linked) illustrations?

I have no idea. Sorry.

If you do have problems, I suppose you could try renaming the directory containing the illustrations, so they become "missing" for the merged document. That may help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

33 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you do have problems, I suppose you could try renaming the directory containing the illustrations, so they become "missing" for the merged document. That may help

Great tip for 'making the final file lighter' to make the images missing.
It still takes some time to complete the job;
at the end I will act as a guinea pig for the index and maybe I will communicate the experience on the subject.

Thanks so much...