You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MAIN FEATURES missing - please make Designer the best out there in few easy steps

Dear developers, I have been using Affinity Designer for a while now, and I find it great, but it has some major flaws that make it sometimes very hard to use or, worse, made it necessary to swap back to illustrator (which is great but way worse organized than affinity, and it has the awful subscription service).

By adding and/or fixing these few things (most of which very easy I am sure), Affinity Ipad would be most definitely, and by far the best out there.

In order of importance:

1) FIX BOOLEAN OPERATIONS: these simply works badly, especially the divide tools, which creates hundreds of useless curves and nodes, and empty lines between divided shapes.

1 "part 2") SHAPE CREATOR: this is a killing feature that illustrator has, and it is missing here, please add it, it makes work flow sometimes SO MUCH EASIER and faster.

2) SNAPPING TOOL/MAGNET: not working well, way too many options to adjust it, but still not precise when it comes to snap shapes and curves (as I have shown in the other forum section).

3) FREE TRANSFORM/PERSPECTIVE VECTOR SHAPES & CURVES: just like this.

4) AUTO SMOOTH CURVES TOOL: this is useful when it comes to quickly reduce unnecessary nodes in shapes, and simplify/make lighter the working process.

5) CREATE PATTERN/REPEAT TOOL: this is extremely useful when it comes to create patterns, not sure why it is missing.

6) TEXT CORRECTOR: please ADD the option to keep in UNCHECKED, or AT LEAST fix it, it keeps underlining correct words, it is an

PLEASE REALLY CONSIDER THESE POINTS, as I really think these would be loved by the whole community here.

Serif reads the Feedback forums, and uses them for planning, but generally they do not comment here. They do not want to reveal future plans, nor do they want to encourage or discourage any particular comments.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 2/22/2021 at 2:36 PM, walt.farrell said:

Serif reads the Feedback forums, and uses them for planning, but generally they do not comment here. They do not want to reveal future plans, nor do they want to encourage or discourage any particular comments.

I hope it's true, however, I was not hoping for promises, more like a feedback that posts are read, so one knows it's not a total waste of time to use this section.

Hopefully they will fix and implement some of these things, I am being forced to switch to illustrators many times lately for the biggest projects, as it has some killing features, and honestly, I do not like to use illustrator if I can, I would like to stick to Affinity as much as possible.

On 2/23/2021 at 8:20 AM, NevraArts said:

I hope it's true, however, I was not hoping for promises, more like a feedback that posts are read, so one knows it's not a total waste of time to use this section.

Hopefully they will fix and implement some of these things, I am being forced to switch to illustrators many times lately for the biggest projects, as it has some killing features, and honestly, I do not like to use illustrator if I can, I would like to stick to Affinity as much as possible.

It has been my experience that they don’t respond in the user forums.

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45

On 2/11/2021 at 1:26 AM, NevraArts said:

Dear developers, I have been using Affinity Designer for a while now, and I find it great, but it has some major flaws that make it sometimes very hard to use or, worse, made it necessary to swap back to illustrator (which is great but way worse organized than affinity, and it has the awful subscription service).

By adding and/or fixing these few things (most of which very easy I am sure), Affinity Ipad would be most definitely, and by far the best out there.

In order of importance:

1) FIX BOOLEAN OPERATIONS: these simply works badly, especially the divide tools, which creates hundreds of useless curves and nodes, and empty lines between divided shapes.

1 "part 2") SHAPE CREATOR: this is a killing feature that illustrator has, and it is missing here, please add it, it makes work flow sometimes SO MUCH EASIER and faster.

2) SNAPPING TOOL/MAGNET: not working well, way too many options to adjust it, but still not precise when it comes to snap shapes and curves (as I have shown in the other forum section).

3) FREE TRANSFORM/PERSPECTIVE VECTOR SHAPES & CURVES: just like this.

4) AUTO SMOOTH CURVES TOOL: this is useful when it comes to quickly reduce unnecessary nodes in shapes, and simplify/make lighter the working process.

5) CREATE PATTERN/REPEAT TOOL: this is extremely useful when it comes to create patterns, not sure why it is missing.

6) TEXT CORRECTOR: please ADD the option to keep in UNCHECKED, or AT LEAST fix it, it keeps underlining correct words, it is an

PLEASE REALLY CONSIDER THESE POINTS, as I really think these would be loved by the whole community here.

The Boolean operator bugs is very frustrating, so I have to jump between vectornator & designer to do something that should be available in Affinity Designer

iPad Pro 9.7” (A1674), Affinity Designer for iPad 1.6.4.45