You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Edit In…" Option Greyed Out

I have projects containing both raster and vector elements and would like to switch between Designer and Photo while working. However the "Edit In…" option is always greyed out, even when the appropriate element/s I wish to edit is/are selected.
How is this supposed to work?
I have both Designer and Photo current MAS versions on OS 10.8.5.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff

Hello markw,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The command File ▸ Edit in Photo/Designer will send the (entire) document to the other program no matter what you have selected.

This seems to be working correctly in Yosemite and El Capitan so i believe this issue is specific to Mountain Lion (and eventually Lion).

I will raise this with the developers/team. Thanks for your report.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am also having the problem of the File Menu Option "edit in photo" option greyed out in both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo.

II does not matter whether the AD/AP are new blank documents or older documents the problem menu option is still greyed out,

I am currently using macOS Sierra 10.12.1 on a MacBook Pro (early2015) with 8MB Memory and 250MB SSD thou its a continuing problem from the previous Yosemite OS but I am unable to say when the problem started. My Affinity Designer is ver. 1.5.1 and Affinity Photo is ver. 1.4.3.

Any solutions will be appreciated.

• Staff

Hi Mikee,

Affinity Designer 1.5.1 uses a more advanced file format that's not compatible with Photo 1.4.3. This is why you are not able to currently use the "Edit in" functionality.

Initially we intended to update both versions of Designer and Photo (immediately after) but due to some issues/crash reports with Designer we end up delaying the Photo update to prevent repeating the same problems.

If you rely on the "Edit in" functionality for your work, you can install both Affinity Designer 1.5.2 Beta 3 and Photo 1.5 Beta 8 on your computer and continue working as usual. Just remember to keep the respective Mac App Store versions installed since they are needed to validate/run the Betas.

• 6 months later...

I actually have this problem using a MacBook Pro, running Sierra, V. 10.12.4. Any solutions? From Photo to AD seems to work.

What version of Affinity Photo is installed on your Mac?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/27/2015 at 7:05 PM, MEB said:

Hello markw,

The command File ▸ Edit in Photo/Designer will send the (entire) document to the other program no matter what you have selected.

This seems to be working correctly in Yosemite and El Capitan so i believe this issue is specific to Mountain Lion (and eventually Lion).

I will raise this with the developers/team. Thanks for your report.

Hi, MEB

I think I have the same problem as it seems, I have Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. The problem is I installed both software with the same version, namely the latest version 1.7.1.404 and when I want to use the options in File> Edit in ...
apparently not, even though both of these software together open a file that I am currently working on. My work relies on both modes, Pixel and Vector. do you have any suggestions or feedback?

I`m using Operating System Windows 10 Pro Version 18032097754307_Screenshot(240).thumb.png.005d478a205665090e3eb8488458f2c9.png1566394255_Screenshot(241).thumb.png.e8b039f608b757cf95388066b3763581.png

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, affinity4Christ15 said:

No help apparently, not surprised

Expected response, not surprised. 

You could have answered:

A) Try a beta version 

B) Open the file directly in the other programme 

C) Same behaviour on a different machine? 

Etc. pp. 

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed