You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sugestia: Za kazdym razem, gdy ktos komentuje w obcym, automatycznie, dolacz tlumaczenie na angielski.

Sugerencia: Cada vez que alguien comenta en un extranjero, automáticamente, adjunte una traducción al inglés.

Suggestion: Whenever someone comments in a foreign, automatically, attach an English translation.

In some ways I can see why that might be useful but in other ways I can see where it might be of little use, or even make things worse.
If the OP cannot read or write English at all then the translation would be useless to them and any replies they got in English would also be of limited use as the reply would have to be translated back into the OP’s original language, which may not be known and could create more confusion. (Some languages look very similar to people who can’t read them and the translation may be done in the wrong language.)
The translation, either way, may also miss some subtle nuance in the original text which might make the translation useless for problem solving. For example, in English there can be confusion between layers, levels, strata, ranks, places, positions, etc.
A nice idea, but I don’t see it being a totally practical one.

Mainly so people in English speaking countries (like where Affinity originates) can read the posts. You do have a point, that it might not be perfectly accurate. It is easy to do & free. I use Google Translate.

Главным образом поэтому люди в english speaking странах (как где Affinity возникает) могут прочитать столбы. У вас есть точка, что она не может быть совершенно точным. Это легко сделать бесплатно. Я использую Google Translate.

21 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

Suggestion: Whenever someone comments on a foreign, automatically include an English translation.

No, wrong way around. A post by a non English speaker should have the title in their original language and a translation of the title to English, the rest of the post should be in their native language. This will attract attention from lots of folk who can reply in their own language. Google translate is marvellous

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

51 minutes ago, pcdlibrary said:

If they can translate the title, it behooves the to also add an English translation.

Where have you seen the title automatically translated?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, pcdlibrary said:

I mean for them to use a translator, like Google Translate, so they can add an English version of their post, along with the one in their native tongue. 

Sorry; I misunderstood. It seemed like you were saying there is already some automatic translation for the topic title.

In any case, this is not something that Serif has any control over. They are using a commercial implementation of a forum system, and the implementors of that software would have to add the translation capability.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry; I misunderstood. It seemed like you were saying there is already some automatic translation for the topic title.

In any case, this is not something that Serif has any control over. They are using a commercial implementation of a forum system, and the implementors of that software would have to add the translation capability.

I mean for them (the members that submit posts).

Please pardon my ignorance but why would the original poster go to the trouble of translating the post into English?
If they write the post in non-English then they obviously want to converse in non-English, for whatever reason, so translating the post into English is of no use to them, isn’t it?
If someone else wants to translate the post into English then they can do so but I don’t see a reason why the OP would want or need to.
If the OP can’t read English then the translation of the post to English, and any replies in English, are useless to the OP unless the OP goes to the trouble of translating them back to non-English, which they probably won’t want to do since they didn’t translate the original post in the first place.

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Please pardon my ignorance but why would the original poster go to the trouble of translating the post into English?
If they write the post in non-English then they obviously want to converse in non-English, for whatever reason, so translating the post into English is of no use to them, isn’t it?
If someone else wants to translate the post into English then they can do so but I don’t see a reason why the OP would want or need to.
If the OP can’t read English then the translation of the post to English, and any replies in English, are useless to the OP unless the OP goes to the trouble of translating them back to non-English, which they probably won’t want to do since they didn’t translate the original post in the first place.

Above was so complicated to understand for me, that I had it to translate it to German ...

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Above was so complicated to understand for me, that I had it to translate it to German ...

7 hours ago, GarryP said:

If the original poster goes to the trouble of translating the post into English, more members of the Forum will read it, and are likely to respond. Good for everyone.