You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Is Linked" Icon not showing on layers panel

Have you linked anything? Also be aware that this is only available in Photo 1.9.0, not in the Photo persona of Publisher.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Can you show us a screenshot?

Have you looked at the Links panel to make sure you actually have a linked layer? What kind of linked layer is it?

What OS are you on? It's working fine for me on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

54 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Also be aware that this is only available in Photo 1.9.0, not in the Photo persona of Publisher.

Linked Layers are in the Photo Persona of Publisher on Windows, Bruce. Are they really missing on MacOS?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you show us a screenshot?

Have you looked at the Links panel to make sure you actually have a linked layer? What kind of linked layer is it?

What OS are you on? It's working fine for me on Windows.

Windows 10 latest update.

Adjustment layers clipped to element layer as per JR on his video.

Links Panel show the linked attributes.

Linked layers do not show "chain link" I just have to remember which adjustments layers were linked.

No need for screenshot.

Thanks for the heads up Walt. Here on Mac we do have Links in the Photo Persona. I didn't do enough looking.

To be honest I am still trying to get my head around the possibilities that the new Links offers. I think it will become a favourite of mine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Claude Fiset said:

No need for screenshot.

In this case, with the hint that you'd talking about linked adjustment layers, you're right. They don't show the linked icon for me, either. Other layers do.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, haakoo said:

also if the adjustments are not a child?

Good point. No, it is only a problem for adjustments that are children, so a screenshot would have still provided benefit to the discussion.

-- Walt
PC:

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Good point. No, it is only a problem for adjustments that are children, so a screenshot would have still provided benefit to the discussion.

Found it:

My linked pixel layers show the "chain link" aka "Is Linked" icon.

You have to link the adjustments layers before you reposition them to their respective element layers.

The adjustments layers have to be reposition as a clipping mask by dropping them on the text not the thumbnail. This will show the "chain link" (Is Linked icon)

That was the finer point in JR's video.

By the way Walt the screenshot would not show anything. there was no "chain link"

27 minutes ago, haakoo said:

what does the links panel show when you use the arrows ?

This is a good question. The arrows do show which layers are linked.

By the way if I dropped the linked adjustments layers on the thumbnail they are still linked but we do not see "Is Linked" icon aka "chain link".

17 minutes ago, Claude Fiset said:

By the way Walt the screenshot would not show anything. there was no "chain link"

It would have shown the kind of layers, and the general layer structure. 

-- Walt
PC: