You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document - Save failed because the file could not be written to

Alex_M

On 1/6/2022 at 8:13 PM, Zlatko said:

Well there you go. It was Windows Defender. For those with similar issues. Try disabling Controlled Folder Access

Screenshot_14.png

Screenshot_13.png

If possible, do not  deactivate controlled folder access. You can add Affinity apps instead to the allowed apps list.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/customize-controlled-folders?view=o365-worldwide 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

2 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

If possible, do not  deactivate controlled folder access. You can add Affinity apps instead to the allowed apps list.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/security/defender-endpoint/customize-controlled-folders?view=o365-worldwide 

True, but it was giving me a lot of issues with other programs as well so I just disabled it.

• 3 months later...

Going to bump this because it is an issue that needs to be fixed asap, running version 1.10.5 and just lost a days work because it wouldn't allow me to save the file anywhere, I tried C:/, D:/, E:/, F:/, sub folders, external drives, usb, and yet it still failed to save the file because it could not be written to, after a while of trying to save, it would pop up a message saying it is now corrupt and will need to close, automatically closing my workstation without any way to stop it. 

Made even greater by the lack of autosave meaning if its gone its gone forever, really wished I just stuck to PS at this point.

The steps to replicate this: 

Open affinity designer -> make file -> save file -> "failed to save document, save failed because the file could not be written to"

I know its not to do with any interfering software as I have tried it on a clean install of windows as well. Any other apps will save bar affinity's collection.

10 minutes ago, Robbin said:

Made even greater by the lack of autosave

There is an autosave, to a recovery file, but it's used only when the application crashes (or you terminate it, e.g. via the Windows Task Manager).

Then, when you restart the application (for files that were never saved) or when you Open the original file again, you should be prompted to recover.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

I have the same problem now affinity crashes when selecting save as started doing this some weeks ago.

Is there none from the company interested in fixing this and adding autosave backup folder options for normal work.

For you with many Questions Yes I disabled controlled folder no change, Yes I added Aff phoro as allowed to make changes to controlled folder. I have tried to turn firewall off.

When I select SAVE AS the affinity program crashes and closes, I can find the file in recent files and reopen it but no luck with saving.

It has been long thread and no fixes I suggest that some clever computer geek could find the phone number of the CEO or COO of affinity.serif.com , serif company and we will take turn calling them and asking them politely to fix this problem. I will bet you after 3 days of 24 hours of answering the phone they will go straight to fixing the problem no one should be rude. just politely as if the could see to it that the problem will be fixed thank you very much.

It seems that is the only way to address the problem

Edited by Stonemask

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Affinity team,

I'm still having this problem regularly with the latest version of Affinity Photo. This happens only when saving to a mapped network drive and thankfully I can safely save the file on my desktop when this bug happens. Please see the screenshot below. I am not using Windows Defender (I have Kaspersky anti-virus though). Affinity Photo is the only software I use that sporadically refuses to save and it's really bothersome. Sometimes I even lose documents I was unable to save on the network drive because I saved them on the desktop and deleted them by mistake when cleaning up my desktop. Can you please look into this?

affinity_photo_save_failed.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• 3 months later...

This issue with can't save a file seems rampant with-in the Affinity tools.  I had to revert back to version 1.6 for both Photo and Designer in order to save files normally on my PC with Win10 and the latest updates.  I've never used an application that has had this issue.  The code base for this tool is very old and I'm sure there are parts of it that have not been recoded. I've read a lot in this forum and others and no one has a definitive solution.  My guess is the "write file" code in this application needs updated to use modern windows protocols.

• 3 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Brent2021 said:

This issue with can't save a file seems rampant with-in the Affinity tools.  I had to revert back to version 1.6 for both Photo and Designer in order to save files normally on my PC with Win10 and the latest updates.  I've never used an application that has had this issue.  The code base for this tool is very old and I'm sure there are parts of it that have not been recoded. I've read a lot in this forum and others and no one has a definitive solution.  My guess is the "write file" code in this application needs updated to use modern windows protocols.

Just encountered this shit today in Designer v2. Fortunately in a simple testfile when I experimented with different brushes and their invividual settings.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2022 at 10:38 AM, Brent2021 said:

windows or your antivirus (both can have this feature) does not allow "not allowed applications" to write on some protected area on your disk. Desktop is one of those area. You have to find if it is windows or your antivirus or both, and then, there is a list of allowed application (one for windows, one for your antivirus if it has this feature) in wich you have to add new affinity version to aloow it to write on desktop.

• 1 month later...

YES! Finished sorting these ~150 Layers, finally.. so SAVE:

image.png.422d05029d1b3b761365e12c1ba33096.png

Boom. Work dumped. Start Over.

An issue for years. Can we plaase finaly fix this?! Is this possible? Stop inventing new features and fix this VERY, VERY BASIS ISSUE.

Is it so hard to trigger the "Save in"-Dialog instead of sending the whole work to hell?

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2023 at 2:48 PM, Serif Info Bot said:

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

image.png.4cbf6a14fe0c2e326a0918770d36a8fe.png

@Serif Info Bot When saving the file, an error appears as in the picture. It is quite bothersome. However, it is possible to save the file as a new file with a different name and then the saving will be successful. But that doesn't solve the problem. Version 2.3.0.

• Staff

@RDNoita

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums :) 

Thanks for your report. This issue presents like the issue that was fixed, but is a new problem in 2.3.0 that we have reported to the developers and added your report to the bug report.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon