You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document - Save failed because the file could not be written to

Alex_M

Here's another attempt. >new >drag and drop picture 1. >Drag and drop picture 2
Save as >new name. It keeps saying 'Failed to save document: <Untitled>'. Despite I tried to saved it many times under other names like, 'test nr 2',  it keeps saying that it can't save the document <Untitled>. 
Having used Photoshop for some 25 years I'm no noob in this matter though.

fail to save 2.PNG

I cannot duplicate.

• I went to some random website, used the browser "Save Image As.." function to save files I called first.jpg and second.jpg on the local drive.
  • I used File->Open in AP released (1.9.1.979) and beta (1.9.2.1005) to open first.jpg.  I'm working in first.jpg
  • Duplicated the layer and used File->Place to bring in second.jpg as the third (Image) layer.  Rasterized that layer.
  • Clicked File->Save As...  AP opens the Save As dialog, offering to save first.afphoto in the original folder.
  • Clicked Save, all is well.  I'm now working in first.afphoto.

Same result for released and beta versions.  Windows 10, I am a system administrator.

Thanks for reply Lem3. Those I used were not locked. I've unlocked however a locked on but same results.
I cannot even save my own photographs by using 'save as'. I opened one and saved it without further ado but the program won't. It does save however by only clicking 'save' (not save as) but that document has zero bites thus no information in it after it's saved. By using the 'save as' option I cannot give them another name either. Could I have a bugged program? I've bought and installed version 1.9.0.932. 

fail to save 3.PNG

Never since I've freshly reinstalled windows after a total crash a few months ago. I removed the old drives and put 2 brandnew ssd's a 1 terrabite each in it and updated from 8 to 16 ram. Thats why I have no photoshop anymore and bought Affinty instead. No problems with making and saving movies from Davinci Resolve or from audioprograms. 

I've just updated to version 9.1.1. Same faulty results.

I don't know about Photo, but applications don't usually get involved with where files are located -- that's what the operating system is for.  I think the error message you are seeing is AP's attempt to repeat what Win8 is telling it when the operating system can't save the file. 

Take a look for errors in the system Event Viewer. Start with Administrative Events.

I'm having the same problem in Designer with Win 10.  Just started popping up last week.  It's not all files but will randomly say it can't save, even though I'm working on a previously saved file.  Have tried saving to the cloud and locally and neither works.  Tried Save As with a different name and same error.  Very annoying.

Is perhaps the monitored folder access in Windows Defender switched on? If so, please switch it off

Path: Windows Defender Security Center --> Virus & Threat Protection --> Ransomware Protection --> Supervised Folder Access)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

What if Affinity Photo is run as administrator (right click ---> Run as administrator)?

And in which directory does it try to save?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

It saves in the same folder from witch it opens the file from. The problem still persists as it does with administrator. There's no way to save whatever file in the native affinity format, wether it's a photo or a drawing; in other words ... in my case it can't save in it's own format! The only way to save a file with all the layers is to export it as a PSD witch is odd. A friend of mine who bought the program a week earlier has no such problems with windows 10. The conversion from native format to psd however colours the content a bit. Maybe it's my videocard drivers since I somehow cannot acces OpenGl 4.6 witch I could before the system crash although GPU-Z says it's installed. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2021 at 10:46 PM, Komatös said:

Is perhaps the monitored folder access in Windows Defender switched on? If so, please switch it off

Path: Windows Defender Security Center --> Virus & Threat Protection --> Ransomware Protection --> Supervised Folder Access)

My problem with saving started up again -  File not found. Check the filename and try again.

The above solution solved it - thanks

@Perodesign is there any other antivirus programme running.

Can you please run sfc /scannow. Press WINDOWS key + R. Copy or write sfc /scannow  in the input field than hold shift + ctrl key and press enter or hold shift + ctrl key and click ok button.

You can also do follwed steps:

Enter Command Prompt or cmd.exe in the taskbar search and start it by right-clicking "As administrator" or by holding down Ctrl + Shift.
C:\Windows\system32\ appears.

Check if there are errors in the registry:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth by right-clicking and paste into the prompt by right-clicking.

Scan data sets (partition) for errors
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

Scan Windows 10 for errors using Windows Update and have it repaired:
Copy Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth with a right-click and paste it into the command prompt with a right-click.

If you have carried out the repair with Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth, you can run Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth again for safety's sake.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for reply Komatös. I have win 8.1 on this Asus laptop. It worked all decent before the crash. After the crash I did a fabric roll back with a fresh (old) windows install that set my system back to 2013. I put in two new ssd's and added another strip of 8gb memorie, thus 16 in totall. After this operations the laptop didn't work as it did before.  But I'm buying a brand new PC Tower with win.10 so I don't expect problems with that. Thanks for the effort.

• 4 weeks later...

Having same problem here. It started out of the blue yesterday. I copy and pasted an image from a freshly opened file. Is not from the internet, both are pictures I took and merged into a single one imge.  What is going on? This is driving me crazy! I cannot save as affinity photo files. Nothing seems to work but only export. 

image.png.688907b0a67a58dd8b79cd54b5def17d.png

• Staff
On 5/28/2021 at 12:06 AM, Xokikstudio said:

Having same problem here. It started out of the blue yesterday. I copy and pasted an image from a freshly opened file. Is not from the internet, both are pictures I took and merged into a single one imge.  What is going on? This is driving me crazy! I cannot save as affinity photo files. Nothing seems to work but only export. 

image.png.688907b0a67a58dd8b79cd54b5def17d.png

Are you using any clipboard managers to copy/paste with? What are you copying the image from? Talk me through your process.

It's not that we are not interested but often things like this are almost imposible to reproduce at will when there are so many processes and workflows. Not to mention cloud services and external and removable storage methods often playing a role. 

If you File > Place or File > Open the same image from wherever it is stored, does it allow you to save? 

• 3 months later...

AHHHH. same here. AP 1.10.1 OSX Mojave MBP 2018

A file I was working on all day. No problems.. suddenly this issue. I think it is related to editing an embedded Designer document...

[edit] this was definitely the case. I dropped a design document to my AP document. It shows up as "embedded  document"layer. I can freely edit that embedded document (it opens a new window), but AP does cannot save. For test purposes, I tried to copy that embedded document and paste that into a new document I can see it is scrambled/incomplete (layers missing). I cannot save my AP document with this embedded document. When I delete that layer it saves fine...

[edit2] it looks fine when I 'place' the document

[edit3] unfortunately it also fails with the placed document. As soon as I edit anything in the embedded document, AP can no longer save. It doesn't matter if I close the embedded document or not. 

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 10.21.22.png

• 3 months later...

Same issue, not only that, changing the name won't allow it to be saved in the directory at all which is under Documents. Furthermore, it doesn't save under any of the default Windows ones like Pictures/Videos etc. Only allows to be saved on Desktop. This is error it gives when it happens (Second image).

Screenshot_11.png

Screenshot_12.png

Hi,

I didn't read this full topic, only the first and last post.

Do you have any kind of antivirus with anti-ransomware ? Since some update mine doesn't allow me nor any application to write anything about anywhere without explicitly giving permission in a list. I have to allow applications to write now.

4 minutes ago, JIPJIP said:

Hi,

I didn't read this full topic, only the first and last post.

Do you have any kind of antivirus with anti-ransomware ? Since some update mine doesn't allow me nor any application to write anything about anywhere without explicitly giving permission in a list. I have to allow applications to write now.

Well there you go. It was Windows Defender. For those with similar issues. Try disabling Controlled Folder Access

Screenshot_14.png

Screenshot_13.png

Edited by Zlatko

• 3 weeks later...