You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Failed to save document - Save failed because the file could not be written to

Alex_M

This dreaded problem, that I've reported in the past, has again made its way back into Affinity Photo 1.9 after being absent for the past year or two. Every now and again Affinity Photo 1.9 won't let me save my documents, thus losing work and redoing everything from scratch.

Please check the screenshots below. These are only a couple of instances among several that this have occurred to me since I installed 1.9 a few days ago.

affinity_photo_cant_save.png.abac7a109b1b75448edb6d7698913099.png affinity_photo_cant_save2.png.c325434b0a14e49c2d379a16c56d02dd.png

Affinity Photo 2.3.1 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

• Staff

I've just checked and nothing has changed for 1.9 - are you still using the mapped network drive?

Also, I can't recall if you were using the beta and if so, did you notice this happening during the beta phase?

It does sound like permissions. I wonder if you can get this to happen when you save locally?

Same here. Bought the program a few days ago and this is my first disapointing expierence. Failed to save a 3 layer document! Big bummer. It happened on a clean installed PC. Tried to save it in different folders but it failed as said above. I only could export it flattened as a jpg.

Edited by Perodesign

Mart. It was a copy and paste picture from the internet like I used to do in Photoshop and added some own made layers to it. So, the problem may be that affinity is looking for a mainsource on the harddrive and can't handle an image from un unknown source. Obviously a memorie issue. That shouldn't be the case though and seems un unnecessary step to me!

3 hours ago, Perodesign said:

Mart. It was a copy and paste picture from the internet like I used to do in Photoshop and added some own made layers to it. So, the problem may be that affinity is looking for a mainsource on the harddrive and can't handle an image from un unknown source. Obviously a memorie issue. That shouldn't be the case though and seems un unnecessary step to me!

So you copy & pasted an image, and then added layers, then did you press Save on the File menu?

Mark. Yes! copy & pasted an image and tried to save as 'save' and 'save as' to give it a name but both failed. ( File not found. Check the filename and try again, as written above)

Haven't replicated this procedure yet since i"m to busy at the moment but I will later on and report it.

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@kazusak7 | @Perodesign | @sz100, where were you loading the document from, and where were you attempting to save to? Was the document in a cloud syncing folder, e.g. Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, iCloud, etc? Or a network drive?

Hello Mark,

I thought that using non-local files are the problem, so I moved the files to local drive, and tried to save in the local drive. 

I didn't have any problem before 1.9 upgrade.

Thank you!

K

46 minutes ago, Perodesign said:

Replicated it with same result. Copied a flower from the web into affinty. Duplicated the layer with a blurr etc. Impossible to save! So, as I said earlier, AF obviously needs a path to an existing file on the harddrive otherwise it won't save the file.

I just dragged an image from a web page onto Photo, and duplicated the layer, and then tried File > Save. The usual File Explorer dialog opened, positioned to my Windows temp folder, and I was able to save.

That worked for me in both 1.9.0 and 1.9.1.952 beta. So I don't think you have found the complete cause.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

That is strange Walt! I did this procedure over and over with jpegs with the same non-results. My system runs on win 8.1 64 bit if that might something have to do with it.
Strange enough after saying it can't save it however does leave a file on the drive named; 'untitled.afphoto'. When I open this file it say's; this filetype is not supported. I have the payed 1.9.0. 

affinity fail to open.PNG

affinity fail2.PNG

Hi,

I got same problem with fresh installation. It occurs after a few moments. I think the problem is that previously saved file was moved to icloud, but you are still working in it. Save as not solve the issue in this case. I`am using A.designer a lot without a problem, even when i wanted to open a remote file (an error occurs) but when i download it from icloud, it works immediately. A.Publisher can not handle this "moving" files. Hope in update soon.

On 2/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, Perodesign said:

That is strange Walt! I did this procedure over and over with jpegs with the same non-results. My system runs on win 8.1 64 bit if that might something have to do with it.
Strange enough after saying it can't save it however does leave a file on the drive named; 'untitled.afphoto'. When I open this file it say's; this filetype is not supported. I have the payed 1.9.0. 

affinity fail to open.PNG

I imagine you're getting this error because your file "untitled.afphoto" is zero bytes in size.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep reporting untill you developers reach out for a solution
I saved 2 images (png) from the web on my harddrive.
Opened the first one. Copied it to a second layer and placed the next image in the same document as a third layer.
I tried to save the whole document to the same folder on the hardrive but failed.

How the heck could acces to the file have been lost since it's a new document in the first place (thus not dependent on a existing file) with just 2 imported pixel layers?
Can you not solve this very basic operation?
I'm going back to PS. This is unworkable for me.

fail to save.PNG

50 minutes ago, Perodesign said:

How the heck could acces to the file have been lost since it's a new document in the first place (thus not dependent on a existing file) with just 2 imported pixel layers?

You said that you "Opened the first one." If that's correct, then you're not working in a new document.

If it's not correct, please be more precise in the workflow you actually used.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

You are correct that I was not working in a new document.
The procedure was as follows; >File >Open >somepicture.png.
After that I imported (via place) the second picture into the same document.
Then I combined some details from both layers into a third layer.
And tried to save it via 'save as' under the same name as it was openend with; witch I could'nt. Then I tried to save it under a new name to no avail either. Third I tried to save the document in a new folder again to no avail. All cases 'failed because access to the file was lost'.

second but different approach via >new >place > anypicture.jpg >save as = 'failed because access to the file was lost'

I can't figure out or comprehend why the program won't save a simple file.
Witch 'lost acces to what' is it looking for?
I'm only able to export it flattened but then I can't no longer work on it later on.