You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Manage presets greyed out

bbwd

As the title says, when I try to create, delete or rename a preset through More ▸ Manage Presets option in the Export dialogue box, it is greyed out and unavailable. This happens in Publisher, Photo and Designer, all versions 1.9.0, on an iMac running 10.14.6. Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

1. Are you using the latest release version - YES
  2. Can you reproduce it? - YES
  3. Does it happen for a new document? If not do you have a document you can share that shows the problem? - HAPPENS ON NEW AND OLD DOCUMENTS
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, iOS 12 etc)? - MOJAVE 10.14.6
  •    What happened for you (and what you expected to happen). - I EXPECTED TO BE ABLE TO MANAGE PRESETS
  •    Provide a recipe for creating the problem (step-by-step what you did). - OPENED EXPORT DIALOGUE, CHOSE A PRESET, CHANGED IT AND WENT TO SAVE AS NEW PRESET BUT COULDN’T
  •    Screenshots (very handy) or a screen capture/video. - SEE ATTACHED PUBLISHER SCREENSHOT
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers. - JUST KEYBOARD AND MOUSE
  •    Did this same thing used to work and if so have you changed anything recently? (software or hardware) - IT WORKED BEFORE 1.9.0 UPDATE

18653A04-C4EB-408B-A337-E3D1328057D0.jpeg

He never fails to achieve new heights in being stupid...

Just a hint/workaround: To make use of custom presets in the current v.1.9.0 ...

Create presets in the Beta and copy the resulting file (stored in the user library) to the according user prefs folder. This way you can choose them from the menu though you may not save any edited preset there.
• If you still have preset files from v1.8.6 (e.g. in a backup) you could try copying those to the according v1.9.0 folder. (can't try myself / haven't any)

The file path depends on your macOS version + your Affinity shop (Apple vs Serif), e.g. to me with macOS 10.14.x / Serif-Store it is: 
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/file_export_options.dat

1095145347_v190presettransferfromBeta.jpg.efa6e1ba2bb73b41a5695443f029abf1.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

@Tinh & @Axel Robert

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

This will be fixed in the 1.9.1 update that is due imminently and also can be found in the beta builds available to any customer here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

@Tinh & @Axel Robert

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

This will be fixed in the 1.9.1 update that is due imminently and also can be found in the beta builds available to any customer here

Hello Patrick.

Thank you for your quick answer and the Beta installer link.
I'm going to download it right away in order to fix it even if I would prefer a real release.
I indeed don't know if this version is fully production oriented. 🙂

Anyhow, thank you again.
I let you know the results ASAP.

Sincerely.

• Staff
Just now, Axel Robert said:

I indeed don't know if this version is fully production oriented.

Although we often say "do not use this for production use" in our beta builds, this is a release candidate and potentially will become the release build. For the purposes of checking that the preset can be exported I think it is safe. For using it in a production environment you may wish to wait for the full release, yes 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

11 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Although we often say "do not use this for production use" in our beta builds, this is a release candidate and potentially will become the release build. For the purposes of checking that the preset can be exported I think it is safe. For using it in a production environment you may wish to wait for the full release, yes 

This version is unfortunately not compliant with Mojave.
I'm going to test on Catalina.

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Axel Robert said:

This version is unfortunately not compliant with Mojave

The beta version? What do you mean? It is compliant with all OS' back to Mavericks. All you need is to have the release build installed in the Application folder

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

21 minutes ago, Axel Robert said:

I'm going to download it right away in order to fix it even if I would prefer a real release.
I indeed don't know if this version is fully production oriented. 🙂

@Alex robert, as mentioned right above your first post here you can create presets in the Beta and use them in the current release version. Just copy your custom preset file into the according folder. So there is no need to work or export any .afpub from the Beta.

p.s.: I am using the Beta in Mojave successfully.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

The beta version? What do you mean? It is compliant with all OS' back to Mavericks. All you need is to have the release build installed in the Application folder

Weird behaviour.
I downloaded the zip file, extracted it and copied in the App folder.
It doesn't work and a windows appears to explain this software is not compliant with the current installed OS.
So, while it could be a privilege issue, I copied the zipped file in the App folder and extracted it.
And it works! 🙂

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

@Alex robert, as mentioned right above your first post here you can create presets in the Beta and use them in the current release version. Just copy your custom preset file into the according folder. So there is no need to work or export any .afpub from the Beta.

p.s.: I am using the Beta in Mojave successfully.

Hello.
Thank you for this tip. It works fine indeed. I just did it from current to Beta and vice versa.

I noticed however, I had to change twice a parameter to be able to save the new preset.   

15 minutes ago, Mgn said:

this problem was not fixed in the new version?

To me it's fixed. Note you need to have altered at least 1 parameter of a currently selected preset to enable the "Create" option. If there is any entry in the "Preset" menu at the top of this window the "Create" option remains grayed-out.

647147609_exportpresetmenu2.jpg.698b449e25b52ebf0c9bd4eb0310d832.jpg   811895310_exportpresetmenu1.jpg.f867e3a77ffc515a8f6da2ec5237cc37.jpg

33 minutes ago, thomaso said:

To me it's fixed. Note you need to have altered at least 1 parameter of a currently selected preset to enable the "Create" option. If there is any entry in the "Preset" menu at the top of this window the "Create" option remains grayed-out.

647147609_exportpresetmenu2.jpg.698b449e25b52ebf0c9bd4eb0310d832.jpg   811895310_exportpresetmenu1.jpg.f867e3a77ffc515a8f6da2ec5237cc37.jpg

Hi!

Yes, I'm trying to save a parameter already altered in more than 1 field, but the option is not available:

isp2.png.7c023b6478cc6c6625a7d50ce42d30d2.png

44 minutes ago, Mgn said:

I'm trying to save a parameter already altered in more than 1 field, but the option is not available:

That's strange, here it works for JPG, too. – Just curious: what if you rename your APub preference folder (to cause the app to create a new one) temporarily?

But I experience another irritation with the UI in the "More" section: clicking the quality slider makes the computer "beep" (the macOS error sound + flashes the screen white according to my macOS setting) … although I may move the slider and get it custom set as wanted.

174053595_exportquality-sliderbeeps.jpg.5cf3f384e20c32b451e1a8dd1440ea37.jpg

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

here it works for JPG

For me it works on:

• PDF
  • SVG if switched immediately via PDF > More > File Format
  • EPS if switched immediately via PDF > More > File Format
  • JPEG if switched immediately via PDF > More > File Format

In other words, to save e.g. a JPEG preset:

1. File > Export
  2. PDF > More > File Format: JPEG > make your JPEG settings
  3. Manage Presets > Create Preset

El Capitan, APu 1.9.1 Serif Store version

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 2/22/2021 at 6:10 PM, Patrick Connor said:

This will be fixed in the 1.9.1 update

Obviously not…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff
2 minutes ago, loukash said:

For me it works on:

• PDF

1. File > Export

What a great work around. Sorry that it is needed, but thanks for this

1 minute ago, loukash said:

Obviously not…

Agreed, sorry again

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

18 minutes ago, loukash said:

For me it works on:

• PDF

1. File > Export

Thank you, I tried doing that and it works. I hope that for future updates it will work properly.

25 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

What a great work around. Sorry that it is needed

Same applies to ADe & APh, but there you can always create presets via Export Persona, so it's not necessarily needed there.

6 minutes ago, Mgn said:

I tried doing that and it works

If yout have ADe or APh, another workaround is to open the afpub there and use your custom export presets there.

Also, the actual preset file might be interchangeable between apps:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/file_export_options.dat > replace with the coresponding file from ADe or APh
Haven't tested it yet, but I will.