You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shadows and Highlights issues

Ian Swann

Sorry if this has already been mentioned but I have not looked though all the posts.

It seems that if you use the shadow or highlight adjusters a bug leaves rectangles on your image that are a different brightnes level to the rest of the image.

This seems to be consistent between different images but the area effected changes as you change the sliders.

Unfortunately I can not constantly make it happed. If I close down my Mac and restart it some time goes away.

The effect is to the image data and not just to the display because in remains after a save or export.

I had noticed the the highlight action was not so good on the previous version but I did not see this issue until the last update. 

Hello again.

I do have the latest version but I think I have worked out what is going on.

I think it is a memory issue. It only happens if I have lots of images open at once so my iMac is slowed down. Also the same effect appears on other function too, so is not just as I described.

I have seen that if I wait (several 10s of seconds) it can clear it's self and is OK.

What is strange is that I appear to be able to do the next action before it clears. 

I will do some more testing and try and pin it down but at this stage I think the issue is local to my Mac and probably not an affinity issue.

Thank you for you attention.

Ian.

I have the same issue. When developing a RAW file in the AP 1.9 Develop Persona rectangular shapes of different brightnesses sometimes appear. It doesn't happen with all photos but with many. I believe the Shadows & Highlights sliders are the prime issue. If the rectangular irregularities appear, I can sometimes get them to disappear by slightly adjusting one or other of the sliders. They often reappear, however. Sometimes when I am able to get the picture I'm working on to clear of the rectangles and send the file to the Photo Persona, the rectangles reappear. This is very annoying and prevents me from using the programme with some pictures. I have a 27" iMac with the latest operating system (macOS Big Sur 11.2.1).Screen_Shot_2021-02-13_at_10_17.20_AM.thumb.png.c09eb3553bf6fbc52139115d00c7c361.png  I'm attaching a screenshot of a picture in the Photo Persona that displays this anomaly.

• Staff

Those rectangles are our render tiles. We render the image in tiles as opposed to the entire thing at once which in theory is supposed to be faster but you do see the individual tiles rendering.

If you have lots of live filter layers, this can slow down the speed in which everything renders. Try going to Preferences > Performance and change the Retina Rendering. There's 3 options in there which change the way the canvas renders.

Thanks for the information. I appreciate your response. I should note that sometimes the rectangles resolve after a while. Most of the time they never do irrespective of how long I wait. I downloaded AP 1.9.1.219 Beta yesterday and the situation improved dramatically. I tried it with several files and they all rendered nicely except one which failed to render properly.