You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Joining letter/words to shape outlines

Hi there.  I'm a total newbie and I am trying to design svg files in Affinity Designer to then make cake toppers in Cricut (cutting machine/software).  What I need to be able to do is to have the outline of a shape, with words or letters in the centre but all joined together so that when they cut they cut as one shape.  But I cannot for the life of me work our how to do it.  I have tried making an outline shape with fill and no fill and stoke as say 10, centre, behind then with the word to go layers/conver to curve, then select both word and outline and geometry/add but  it kind of adds the letter but also knocks out the letter but leaves the indent in the outline of  the letter.  I'm pulling my hair out.  I'm sure this is really easy but I just cannot figure it out.  Please could anyone give me step by step instructions on how to do this?  Example of what happens below (just used one letter as example)

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 16.16.48.png

Screenshot 2021-02-10 at 16.17.20.png

What I think is happening here is you have a circle with a stroke being added to a Letter with no stroke.

What you need to do is choose the Circle and expand the stroke then add that to the Letter. Select the Circle and go to Layer > Expand Stroke, this will give you an object with a fill and that can combine with the Letter's fill.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Expand the stroke on the circle by choosing the circle and going to Layer > Expand Stroke

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

There is also an FAQ regarding Cricut: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions