You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scribble with text frame tool conflict?

Affinity Designer 1.9.3, iPad.

When I either place a text frame, or select an existing text frame I get what’s illustrated below.

6C2A9FD4-7A34-4723-8A69-04F79A6B496F.thumb.jpeg.fd2c093cf92539ebe2e519dd553c173e.jpeg

This seems to block access to the standard full size keyboard + I can’t scribble into a text frame either.

Sure I can use the small lite Scribble keyboard and move the Scribble panel to the side to change to bold too, but I can’t access all the characters available on the full keyboard, or type using fingers easily. Not on the tiny keyboard with my fingers anyway.

The only way I seem to be able to get out of it and access the full keyboard, is to put the app into the background and then call it back again. Then the full keyboard comes up.

Is there a setting I’ve missed here, or some action? I’ve been through the preferences.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Ok, I’ve learned:

• that touching any part of the bottom banner brings up the full keyboard.
  • If you don’t use the Apple Pencil to activate the text you want to edit, you get the full keyboard.

I’d love to be able to use Scribble

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

• 8 months later...

I just signed up for an account to ask about this very issue. I’ve been using Affinity Designer to draw up a floor plan of the house we are buying. My hope was that I’d be able to use scribble to enter measurements when we view the property. Definitely another voice from me for this feature request, surely it’d be mostly using Apple’s APIs?

36 minutes ago, NecronomiconUK said:

My hope was that I’d be able to use scribble to enter measurements when we view the property. Definitely another voice from me for this feature request, surely it’d be mostly using Apple’s APIs?

Just output your floor plan as pdf. Open that  pdf and scribble away to you heart’s content 🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/