You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to do a channel selection for hair. How i use to do it in PS was I would create a new channel by using calculate. Then I would apply a levels adjustment on the channel to up the blacks and whites. Then using a paint brush set to overlay, I would paint out the grays to either black or white. Make my selection turn off the channel and turn on the other and good to go. In Affinity photo, I cannot figure out how to calculate to channels together, which is fine, I can use one. But I cannot create a new channel or paint on a channel. How can this program be so good and bad at the same time. This is something you need in a pro workflow. I don't know anyone who uses selection tools on most of their work. I was taught and have only seen pen tool and channels. Why cannot I not do this? Or am i just overlooking something. I have spend to long trying to figure this out and there seems to be no youtube videos on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cwill,

i just uploaded a tutorial for a similar question. I did not fully understand your PS workflow, if you can provide a hint i migth find a similar solution for Affinity.

regards,

Timo

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• 1 year later...

I too would like to use channels to make selections of hair on dark backgrounds.

The goal is to create contrast to make the selection.

My procedure in PS was:

• Look at the RGB channels to determine which has the most contrast.
  • use levels or curves to create more contrast in the most contrasting channel layer 
  • after increasing contrast in that channel, duplicate it
  • use curves to increase the midtones
  • use the newly created channel and apply it to itself with “Screen” blending option thus amplifying the contrast (using apply image command)
  • In Levels drag left shadow slider to right to darken the edges, and move Highlite slider to left to lighten background
  • using a brush paint in black (alpha channel) those areas you obviously want to select (appears grey scale)
  • Use brush in “soft light” blend mode to touch up edges
  • use pen tool to accurately select none hair areas to be selected
  •  Invert the alpha channel
  • use levels again to make background black, moving left slider to right
  • load alpha channel as selection
  • finished with curves adjustment so delete it
  • Using the mask created from alpha channel copy the composite color to a new layer

Piece of cake!