You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Explorer thumbnail

All three programs Designer/Photo/Publisher can save a thumbnail with a document, and this works well, showing the thumbnail image in Windows Explorer.

The saved thumbnail  does not show up in my resource management software where only the associated application icon is visible.
I've discussed with them and they have no problem in showing the windows thumbnail ( and I see one in Photoshop and Illustrator documents etc ) .
They tell me they know of one problem package and that is Corel - who hide their thumbnails from apps other than Explorer in some way- and no good reason was given by Corel.

Is it the case that Affinity are doing like Corel and in some way hiding the thumbnail?
If so, I don't think it's a sensible option as it can be annoying to have to explicitly save (for instance) a reference jpeg.
If not deliberately hidden is there any advice that you could give to sort this out?

thanks

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

48 minutes ago, gw_westdale said:

Is it the case that Affinity are doing like Corel and in some way hiding the thumbnail?

The format of the Affinity files (.afphoto, etc.) is intentionally not documented by Serif.

However, as I understand it, this would only affect applications that try to read the file and extract the thumbnail by parsing the file themselves. If they use the standard OS-provided interfaces to read the thumbnail from the file, it should be available to them.

So, if your resource manager software is not showing the thumbnails, perhaps they are not using the proper OS interfaces to read them.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1