You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No reason canvas rotate

srg

While working using option    and/or  command keys the canvas rotate. Probably just lightly touching the mouse but not sure this is necessary for the accidental rotation. I have no shortcuts for the rotation function active. It happens often and with all files.

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 9.57.19 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Egor Komarov,
I'm not sure i understood you question. Can you rephrase it please?
If you want to turn off canvas rotation when you use command + mouse wheel in v1.9 go to Affinity Preferences, Tools section and untick Enable canvas rotation with cmd+scroll wheel on macOS. If you are using Windows untick Enable canvas rotation with alt+scroll wheel.

However even if you untick this option it will not revert to zoom. The shortcuts to zoom in/out are different:
press and hold ALT + mouse-wheel on macOS
press and hold CTRL + mouse-wheel on Windows.

Let me know if i missed your question.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Egor Komarov,
There's no way to do it. It's a hard-coded modifier. The only thing you can change is the shortcuts for various zoom commands (zoom in/out, zoom to fit etc) in the Keyboard Shortcut section in Preferences, not the modifier used with the mouse-wheel zoom function.

What you can do if you are using a scroll-wheel mouse is to set the scroll-wheel to zoom in/out without using any modifier key. You can enable this going to Affinity Preferences, Tools section and ticking Use mouse-wheel to zoom.

3 hours ago, Egor Komarov said:

How to change zoom with option+mouse wheel to command + mouse wheel?

3 hours ago, MEB said:

There's no way to do it.

There is a way via third party apps:

Either more "low level" with Karabiner karabiner-elements.pqrs.org
Or with an advanced macro utility like Keyboard Maestro keyboardmaestro.com

With Karabiner it's basically a no-brainer globally: For example, as a former PowerBook user, I'm mapping the right option key to act as the Enter key on a MacBook Pro. But that affects all applications. I haven't investigated if it's possible to limit the modification to specific apps yet.

On the other hand, Keyboard Maestro can target specific apps. I'm already using a few macros to work around Affinity's lack of scriptability. But I haven't used it for such advanced "low level" keyboard mods yet, so I can't tell you how to program it for this specific task. There's a forum on their web site, so if that's an option, you may want to research there.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

8 minutes ago, loukash said:

I haven't investigated if it's possible to limit the [Karabiner] modification to specific apps yet.

Turns out it is possible. See app specific user examples on ke-complex-modifications.pqrs.org/#application-specific
The tricky part will be how to address only this particular function without breaking anything else. ;)
And if it's even worth it, rather than simply getting used to the existing modification key…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 11 months later...

I know, this is an old thread but this choice of modifier keys on macOS for scroll-zooming is driving me crazy for months now!

Please Affinity, why did you do this? We all rely on muscle memory in our daily workflows and EVERY other major design app I know uses the cmd key as a scroll-zoom modifier: Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Miro, FigJam. Until I have found out that I can at least disable the canvas rotation I so often accidentally rotated instead of zoomed. Very frustrating in the long run.

Please make this a selection in the preferences, at least for macOS.

Thank you, I really like the Affinity apps other than that.