You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

can't use colour sliders to change text style colours

skadhu

Using Publisher 1.9 on Mac OS 10.14.6. Nothing has changed recently except updating Publisher.

I tried to change a text style colour in an existing document to a specific brand colour (as I did a couple of weeks ago in another file) and although the colour picker still works for randomly choosing a colour none of the sliders work. I can go in and manually change the colour of text and then update the style (my current workaround), but I can't edit the text style colour using the sliders.

I tried creating a new style with a new colour using the sliders and that doesn't work either.

I created a new document with a new style and it won't let me specify a text style colour using the sliders.

I have attached the test file and a screenshot showing what I see when I try to edit a style colour. It allows me to select a setting number (apparently) but I can't change it.

Thanks.

971341343_ScreenShot2021-02-09at5_08_13PM.png.b70e69ec1227f442eaa45fdc17a2b004.png

text style colour change test.afpub

4 minutes ago, skadhu said:

reset Object Styles

Good to know that it worked!

Though it appears strange to me, since in my understanding object styles are objects in the "Styles" panel and not expected to influence color sliders or any other UI behavior.

I wonder what exactly gets reset in detail. I just reset object styles with open APub by pressing the button – but with some unexpected result:
– the entire styles panel got emptied (a custom category was deleted + all factory styles in "Default" disappeared)
– after an app relaunch the factory styles were back / but two custom styles in the "Default" category reappeared, too. So it seems the object reset deletes only custom categories and doesn't touch "Default styles regardless of factory or custom.
– the welcome screen, custom set to hide before the reset, became activated/visibly by the object reset.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Update: I spoke too soon, it didn't work.

Yesterday I also had problems with a Designer file sent to me as a PDF: when I reduced the size of the artboards, text wrap wouldn't accept the change and insisted on wrapping to the original artboard size. Sigh. Anyway, I am going to try a full reset back to default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app and see if that works.

Another update...

I ran Disk Repair just in case the problem was there. Then I tried creating a whole new aPub file (see attached), detached and deleted all existing styles, and discovered that

• I can’t specify a style colour using the sliders

• I can’t change a style colour using the sliders

• The colour picker works just fine

I am baffled.

I am wondering if I need to trash Library Prefs but I see that Publisher has two—no idea why. Would I need to trash both? I've attached a screenshot. 

Or are there other files I could try trashing?

1647655932_ScreenShot2021-02-12at7_58_57AM.png.c40d1779f3e054b85920eb25761a0233.png

testfile.afpub

Again no issue to me with your .afpub, the sliders slight like a charm. Get beautiful colors ;•)
Anyway, I wouldn't expect UI behavior issues being influenced or caused by document content, since UI settings may be but UI behavior isn't document related.

1 hour ago, skadhu said:

Anyway, I am going to try a full reset back to default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app and see if that works.

Did you do this reset, with all checkboxes ticked? If yes, I know of 4 locations with Affinity app data:

• In your user folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher
~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher

• In a 'hidden' directory on your mac:
/private/var/folders/sc/t7vpbgl15nd3417_gpz532fc0000gn/T/Affinity Publisher/PersonaBackstore.dat
(whereas the grey part might vary since these folders get created by macOS)

Next options:
• Try using Affinity as another user on this mac. If it works, the culprit is in your user folder.
• Uninstall APub, not just by deleting the app but rather with e.g. the AppCleaner.app which searches for related system files and presents them in a list before deletion.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Text Style Panel - numeric entry for colour values in sliders not possible" (REF: AF-204) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.