You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.1.944

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: Fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Fixed Studio Preset shortcuts not being restored after a subsequent launch
  • Fixed slow Channel Mixer adjustment when using hardware acceleration
  • Fixed potential crash on the pattern layer context toolbar sampler control
  • Fixed potential crash when a updating the layer editability
  • Fixed potential crash showing Product Key dialog
  • Fixed New from Clipboard of raster data from external applications, as it was always prefering EMF/WPF over raster data (ignoring the 'Prefer metafile over raster ...' general setting
  • Prevent multiple crashes at startup due to what I assume is a bad OpenCL driver. Previous startup crashes are detected, and hardware acceleration is prevented.
  • Fixed crashes when attempting to register the product
  • Fixed slow Patch Tool and Healing Brush when using hardware acceleration

1.9.1.943 release notes

41 minutes ago, Subclavius said:

I am unable to turn off OpenCL with build 944. I uncheck the box and then close it but APhoto no longer asks for a restart.  Manually stopping and restarting shows OpenCL still enabled.

the same here.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

42 minutes ago, Subclavius said:

I am unable to turn off OpenCL with build 944. I uncheck the box and then close it but APhoto no longer asks for a restart.  Manually stopping and restarting shows OpenCL still enabled.

I get the same. I didn't try with build 943 so don't know if this was the same.

1 hour ago, Subclavius said:

Hmm, probably the property change/update listener for the OpenCL setting change then does not take effect here (will not be executed aka not triggert). - A manual stop and restart then might always read/get the previous so far in the properties file settings unchanged value.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi,

I´m user of Affinity Photo. Normally when I start the beta version and a popup informs me that a new version is available I click on the download button. I will then be transferred to the download page where I click on the download button and the download starts then ..... normally. This time the screen flickers shortly and then nothing happens.

Appreciating your help with the problem

Johann Dietz

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've discovered the cause of the inability to disable OpenCL in the beta. That'll be fixed in the next build. 

This same problem also causes the crash on startup. To work around it, open the following file:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml

And make sure it has the following entry (inside the <Settings> tags):

<UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>

Apologies for the inconvenience.

7 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

This same problem also causes the crash on startup. To work around it, open the following file:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\Settings\PerformancePreferences.xml

And make sure it has the following entry (inside the <Settings> tags):

<UseHardwareAcceleration>True</UseHardwareAcceleration>

Apologies for the inconvenience.

That did not change anything for me. When I try to disable HA it does not ask for a restart. Going back to Preferences shows that the check mark is still there.

But I Photo works fine and I don't have any crash.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

1 minute ago, AlainP said:

That did not change anything for me. When I try to disable HA it does not ask for a restart. Going back to Preferences shows that the check mark is still there.

But I Photo works fine and I don't have any crash.

That was for the crash at startup @AlainP. It won't affect the problem of being unable to disable hardware acceleration.

9 minutes ago, AlainP said:

That's actually just a temporary manual fix, so you can use this beta build at all without crashing. - Mark will address the UI based <UseHardwareAcceleration> change/update settings and triggering in the next beta version update.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

• Staff
Just now, haakoo said:

The ctrl+ runup was a run before I checked the appdata folder so the question remains why the empty settings folder?

Glad its all running up! 

A Ctrl Run up will literally clear your settings, so that is why the folder gets emptied. The issue was that if you don't have that value set it was crashing trying to set it. So a ctrl-run up would clear it and then fail to set and get stuck in a crashing loop!

In this actual context it might be generally useful to see also how to manually set/toggle hardware acceleration on/off until the next beta build fixes the UI based HA setting switching.

8 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Glad its all running up! 

A Ctrl Run up will literally clear your settings, so that is why the folder gets emptied. The issue was that if you don't have that value set it was crashing trying to set it. So a ctrl-run up would clear it and then fail to set and get stuck in a crashing loop!

I do ctrl+runup>reboot at every new beta to make sure it has the new features stick and have a clean install.
Shouldn't it revert to a default state and leave the xml files with the basic settings?

Move Along people,nothing to see here