You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is ON1 Resize plugin 2021 worth it on Affinity Photo?

ON1 emailed me today promoting their latest plugin. "The new version includes performance enhancements and new features that make it even easier and faster to resize photos without losing sharpness and detail." My question is, given that Affinity Photo has photo enlarging features, do I need this as well? Does anyone know how they compare? I ask  because some of my photo-based artwork looks fine at 5"x7" but I want to create professional art prints at 11x14. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ashf said:

Topaz Gigapixel AI is another choice.

It was my impression from my trial of Gigapixel AI, that it was meant for enlarging low res photos.

And to that end actually adds pixels that were not originally there.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

13 hours ago, TomM1 said:

It was my impression from my trial of Gigapixel AI, that it was meant for enlarging low res photos.

And to that end actually adds pixels that were not originally there.

Isn't that what any enlargement software is going to do?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, LindaYVR said:

Yes. Affinity has an enlargement function, that's why I am asking about ON1. Is Affinity sufficient or do I need more enlargement power? Thanks.

It probably will depend on how much enlargement you need. For twofold each way Affinity is fine, but for fourfold you may need something more sophisticated.

Personally I use BenVista PhotoZoom for the rare occasions I need such power.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, LindaYVR said:

ON1 says it works in Affinity. 

My research and recent experience with the plugins shows that

Effects, Portrait and HDR can work within AP. Resize must be used as a stand alone app.

website

Mac mini (2018)  3.2 GHz Intel Core i7  64 GB • Radeon Pro 580 8 GB • macOS Monterey

2 hours ago, John Rostron said:

Isn't that what any enlargement software is going to do?

John

No, if you enlarge a crappy low res image with Resize you get a much larger crappy low res image.

Gigapixel uses "AI" to guess and fill in missing features.

This is nice for enlarging that small photo of your dog but for upsizing a high res photo of artwork,

I would rather that the software does not alter the image that way.

website

You say your art is photo based. Normal resolution for prosumer or not last gen professional camera is abt 6000 x 4000 pixels. That image can be printed with excellent quality up to ~ 13" x 20" size. You say your target size is 11" x 14". Is this talk about resize really justified?

That said, I have not tested latest ON1 Resize but earlier versions were not anything spectacular – slightly better that AP Lanczos but most of the time no real difference. There is no need to bash Gigapixel for its ability to invent new pixels for low rez photos – when you feed it higher rez material and resample less that twofold resample it creates images more true to original. It is one of the better resamplers out there. That said, OP probably does not need it, as if there is resample even needed, it is so slight that AP lanczos resample can handle it and no one will see the difference.