You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Publisher Bug? Layers studio doesn't reflect items in document

I'm building a new document, and have dragged a few items in to serve as reference. I have 3 items, but only one showed up in Layers studio.

Until I clicked on the items in the document. THEN their layers appeared in the Layers studio.

To me this seems far more bug than feature.

😀

A sample document demonstrating that would be useful. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Recreatable with test data?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 hour ago, VectorCat said:

I'm building a new document, and have dragged a few items in to serve as reference. I have 3 items, but only one showed up in Layers studio.

What sort of items? Did you drag and drop from the OS (file explorer)?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

It's entirely possible. I'm just really passing on a thing I witnessed, as with the issue of text re-sizing when several bits of text are grouped.

😉

A quick test here (using PDF and RTF) doesn't show the problem you describe. If at some later date you can recreate it with none private/proprietary documents please let us know again. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

This just happened moments ago. Here is a screen grab of an example of an item which is on the paste board but not reflected in the Layers Studio.

It is the 2pt black page border - indicated with fat red circles which should appear in the layers studio as a "Rectangle."

The other "rectangles" shown are for items off the paste board.

EDIT: it may be listed as "Shape Text" which is bizzare because I made it with the Rectangle tool.

Aff Pub box not in layer studio.png

13 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

It is the 2pt black page border - indicated with fat red circles which should appear in the layers studio as a "Rectangle."

And this is still happening? Very weird indeed.

2 hours ago, VectorCat said:

Until I clicked on the items in the document. THEN their layers appeared in the Layers studio.

The document from which I supplied the screen capture is still being built, so I'm just getting rolling here. I should've captured the first problem, but if anything else weird happens, I'll document it.

I did not notice whether the Forum has a spot for reporting bugs. Is this section good for that?

haakoo - that is true enough. That is what it shows. However that first perimeter box was made with the Rectangle tool. I was looking for it in the Layers Studio; no way I could know that for whatever reason it was named Shape Text, locked or not.

45 minutes ago, VectorCat said:

However that first perimeter box was made with the Rectangle tool.

And there's no possibility that you touched it with a Text Tool after creating it, thus turning it into a Shape Text object?

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

And there's no possibility that you touched it with a Text Tool after creating it, thus turning it into a Shape Text object?

It definitely is possible. I think it unlikely because after creating that box, I set to getting it to look how I need it re: fill and stroke.

Yet, I take your point. It certainly is possible that your scenario could've happened, and apparently touching an active Rectangle with a Text Tool will transform that Rectangle into a Shape Text. I shall pay extra attention to watching what I do with my tool usage / selection.

So..as an experiment, I just created a rectangle in that very same document, and with the rectangle active, I touched a text tool, and then the other text tool, and then with several other tools.

The Rectangle remained a Rectangle in the Layers Studio.

Walt, do I misunderstand your point about that?

The conversion happens if you touch (click) the rectangle with a text tool.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

The conversion happens if you touch (click) the rectangle with a text tool.

So it does, yes! I just confirmed on another Mac. When I resume work on the initial Mac tomorrow morning, I'll take a look at the history to see whether I did do this, but after my experiment just now, it's clear that it would be vanishingly simple to have done that to my rectangle.

In any case, a good learning experience for me, and I thank you for bringing it to the discussion!