You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

IMPORT/EXPORT Studio Presets

Dear Serif Team, CONGRATULATIONS !!! You are the best.

I just would like to tell a little suggestion for a feature that would be a great touch to your new Studio Presets;

Import/Export Presets.

I have a Laptop and a MacPro for working with the amazing Affinity Suite,
Making several layouts for different kind of work, take me some time do to. And, repeating those in my Laptop, well, you know already the answer.
It would be excellent to finish making my layout for different Studios in my MacPro and then to Export/Import them in my Laptop.
You would say, well, it is just two computer, do it.
How about for those places or designers who have many computers and employees?
They will benefit a lot for having those Studio Presets exported and imported.

It is just a suggestion.

Thank you for your great Affinity Suite.

Being willing to be part of another Beta work,

5 hours ago, bogarguz said:

Studio Presets exported and imported

Serif Store version:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/presets/com.seriflabs.Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.YOUR_PRESET_NAME.preset

App Store version:
~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher/Data/Library/Application Support/presets/com.seriflabs.Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.YOUR_PRESET_NAME.preset

… and correspondingly similar paths to Designer and Photo app support folders.

Copy these presets to the other Mac and place them into the corresponding folder. I haven't tested it yet – my v1.9 is installed on a different partition so I'd have to reboot the Mac right now – but it should work.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, bogarguz said:

Do you know in Windows where there are?

No idea. You may want to contact some of the users who post in the Windows focused forums here: forum.affinity.serif.com

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

C:\Users\HereYourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\...

Alternatively, use the %AppData% environment variable:

%AppData%\Affinity\...

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, bogarguz said:

some beers

a Pilsner Urquell please! ;)

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

in windows these are xml files

Really? The Affinity support files on Mac are all some binary gibberish except for the MacOS standard plist file in ~/Library/Preferences

On 2/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, loukash said:

Serif Store version:
~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/presets/com.seriflabs.Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.YOUR_PRESET_NAME.preset

App Store version:
~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher/Data/Library/Application Support/presets/com.seriflabs.Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.YOUR_PRESET_NAME.preset

… and correspondingly similar paths to Designer and Photo app support folders.

Copy these presets to the other Mac and place them into the corresponding folder. I haven't tested it yet – my v1.9 is installed on a different partition so I'd have to reboot the Mac right now – but it should work.

So great! That information it was exactly was I looking for!

jedno pivo pro Vás! xD

On 2/9/2021 at 11:01 PM, loukash said:

Hm…
So I tested it earlier today on my v1.9.0 and 1.9.1 beta installations, and it didn't work.
Well, sort of it evetually did to a small degree with a trick, but that's not worth the hassle.
Apparently there also must be a "link" to the file somewhere in the user app preferences, otherwise the app won't see the preset at all.

So to make it work, the best is to sync the whole ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity [Appname] folder plus the ~/Library/Preferences/com.seriflabs.affinity[appname].plist file (Serif Store version), or ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinity[appname] folder (Mac App Store, but make sure to exclude all aliases within). That's what I do regularly between my El Capitan and Catalina partitions, and that works, at least for my Affinity 1.8.4 apps. But you will need a capable sync tool for that: After more than 15 years of daily usage, I just can't praise ChronoSync enough; it's the best.

Either that, or perhaps Serif eventually makes the presets exportable.

6 minutes ago, Mgn said:

jedno pivo pro Vás!

No, díky, ale asi jsem si ho v tomto případě ještě nezasloužil…

Oh, and by the way, the preset file is now renamed in the 1.9.1. beta:

com.seriflabs.affinity[appname].Studio.Preset.Data2Layout-tab.[YOURPRESETNAME].preset