You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAM Feature Wishlist

Hi all!  I'd made a quick search but not found a specific topic for articulating wishlist items for a future DAM product, so I thought I'd start one and enumerate a couple features I'd like to see:

• Public API / Plugin Architecture. If this is implemented broadly enough, the following two items, might just be implemented as plugins.  AND, if they could be implemented as plugins, I wouldn't be unhappy if they were features that came along after 1.0.
  • Explicit support for NAS storage.  If mounted filesystems aren't robust enough, then perhaps some application-based solution targeted for the common platforms (synology, qnap, etc) would be workable.
  • Photo Service exporters. It's convenient to easily export photos to services like SmugMug, etc., from directly within the DAM.

Thanks and I understand "it's early days." ;-) 

2 hours ago, pheller said:

Hi all!  I'd made a quick search but not found a specific topic for articulating wishlist items for a future DAM product, so I thought I'd start one and enumerate a couple features I'd like to see:

• Public API / Plugin Architecture. If this is implemented broadly enough, the following two items, might just be implemented as plugins.  AND, if they could be implemented as plugins, I wouldn't be unhappy if they were features that came along after 1.0.
  • Explicit support for NAS storage.  If mounted filesystems aren't robust enough, then perhaps some application-based solution targeted for the common platforms (synology, qnap, etc) would be workable.
  • Photo Service exporters. It's convenient to easily export photos to services like SmugMug, etc., from directly within the DAM.

Thanks and I understand "it's early days." ;-) 

Personally, I'd prefer them to maintain and improve their existing rather good product range not least because there's no shortage of quality DAM softwares and RAW editors already out there. Indeed, it could be risky for Serif Affinity to try to enter existing very crowded software markets.

4 hours ago, pheller said:

a couple features I'd like to see

Everything that iView Media Pro could do.
With the addition to catalog any file type.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 2/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, Snapseed said:

I'd prefer them to maintain and improve their existing rather good product range

A good integrated DAM option is the next big feature that needs adding to the Affinity suite.
It's tickling in with the new resource manager features in 1.9 and that is a good omen that this will come in time.

For me it needs to support every format the suite currently supports, plus video and audio formats.
It needs the ability to create virtual collections within it's database, also automatically generated (smart) collections based on user defined rules .

Another feature that will take the suite up to another level is the ability to save history steps to side car files to make parametric changes (particularly to RAW photos) repeatable and changeable. That would then bring Affinity Photo's capabilities up to properly compete with Lightroom and Capture One. That would also allow virtual copies in the DAM.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:28 PM, Snapseed said:

Personally, I'd prefer them to maintain and improve their existing rather good product range not least because there's no shortage of quality DAM softwares and RAW editors already out there. Indeed, it could be risky for Serif Affinity to try to enter existing very crowded software markets.

I don't think a standalone app is necessary to do what Lightroom and others roughly do. A proper persona in Affinity Photo and a lot of the work I do with Lightroom is possible. Yes virtual copies are nice but personally I don't want to have a catalogue based raw lib ever again. I just need a good integration in a program like Affinity Photo tbh. So yes, please go ahead and start improve the apps you have. 

For me working with only one app but really in three, like possible in publisher, is THE only thing I ever wanted to do since 1995. It's amazing to just be able to switch personas instead of programs. I believe this is one way that might be the affinity way to solve this demand without creating something standalone like a full DAM.

4 hours ago, Gigiga said:

I don't think a standalone app is necessary to do what Lightroom and others roughly do. A proper persona in Affinity Photo and a lot of the work I do with Lightroom is possible. 

If we look at the way 'stand alone' programs just become personnas within the Affinity suite, it seems pretty obvious that making a stand alone program that also acts as a personna would be the most likely way a DAM would be added to the suite.

I'm sure most suite users will be happy to buy another program that could transform the way we work with the suite and it's capabilities.