You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking to OpenSource apps for feature ideas rather than Adobe

Maybe we should all be looking to PhotoLine, Gimp, Scribus and InkScape for feature inspiration rather than Adobe, Corel and Xara.

At least we'd know that the features are possible and available for implementation rather than blocked by a murder of laywers looking for a creative way to crush the little upstart.

Any thoughts on this?

tab stops

A great solution in an opensource app rather than the disaster that Illustrator provides.

We think, the “disaster” is the “solution” in AD, because it is not better (than that in Illustrator or FreeHand) right from the start. Other AD tools are on a much better usability level.

tab stops

Umm… "Tab Stops" is a generic feature request. There are plenty of broad feature request discussions out there. Please can you point to an open source application that implements tab stops in the way you like?

Examples:

Show tab stops in the page's rulers like in Scribus, or...

Show tab stops at the top of the paragraph text box like in PhotoLine

This way, recommendations and feature requests can be a bit more constructive.

Thanks all.

;)

Layer opacity with a range beyond 0-100%. Photoline allows for a range from -200% up to +200%. This allows for so much flexibility beyond what other image editors have on offer.

Wish to double the effect of a layer's blend mode? Increase up to 200. Invert the effect of a layer (even an adjustment layer)? Use a negative value in the layer opacity.

Tremendously useful. I keep wondering why no other software thought of this before.

Why is Affinity bound to the image mode like Photoshop? Photoline's layer stack can freely mix and match images with any image mode (RGB, Lab, CMYK, Grey, b&w) in any bit depth (8, 16, and 32 bit per channel).

Working with curves without the need to switch to a different image mode is just one of the advantages of this approach.

The background layer decides the final calculated result: the image data in the layers remains untouched, even when switching the background layer back and forth between different image modes (from RGB to grey scale, to monochrome, and back to full Lab 32bpc: you will not lose any precious data of the original images used in the layer stack!).

Another great idea to improve Affinity Photo.

Layer opacity with a range beyond 0-100%. Photoline allows for a range from -200% up to +200%. This allows for so much flexibility beyond what other image editors have on offer.

Wish to double the effect of a layer's blend mode? Increase up to 200. Invert the effect of a layer (even an adjustment layer)? Use a negative value in the layer opacity.

Tremendously useful. I keep wondering why no other software thought of this before.

That's quite original. I've never seen this before and can see why that would be useful.

Best implementation of tab stops: direct, exact, innovative and live. [usability is not the core competence of open source software …]

So, what you're saying is that we can't rely on opensource for great features?

Who's tab stops do you think are implemented the best? (Adjectives merely give us the brief… not the solution)

Why is Affinity bound to the image mode like Photoshop? 

I think it might be to keep the tools relevant. A vector pencil tool and a raster pencil tool are very different and it would be a bit confusing to have 2 pencil tools in the tool box. By changing modes, we can be presented only with the tools that will function correctly.

Just my take on their thinking – I might be wrong.

Who's tab stops do you think are implemented the best?

The best is not just cloning old solutions that are copies of older ones. Think new. Think what is usable. Think what users need. This is the job of Serif. They could have asked us. But they did not (e.g. with a report tool). Too many tools are still buggy, not really usable. And it took and takes too much time to explain things because not everybody there has the view/thinking of professional users.

Just examples: They ignored [TAB] input in Beta AD. Not funny. But the examples: direct = not far + few steps (e.g. a double [sHIFT] shows/hides everything you need/need not; innovative: e.g. optical and/or exact tab stops: Characters would start/end at almost exactly n mm … without side bearing; character snapping that works; x-height input; …

The best is not just cloning old solutions that are copies of older ones. Think new. Think what is usable. Think what users need. 

Funny, all the feature requests I'm seeing on this forum are requests of features taken from other applications. Clearly usable and existing ARE what users are wanting. They have "re-invented" the concept of the eye dropper tool, and all they have gotten is complaints and a request to just make it work like everyone else's.

They could have asked us. But they did not

Umm… what do you think the forum "Feature Requests" is for? On top of this, I see nearly every question being responded to promptly. AF is listening to us.

Now, back to my original post… I'm sure some opensource application implements tabs in a way that you feel are "usable". Please name it. If you don't have any working knowledge of opensource applications and cannot contribute, please stop posting because this discussion is clearly not for you.

Umm… what do you think the forum "Feature Requests" is for? … please stop posting because this discussion is clearly not for you.

“Feature Request” came after they made the concept for the app! … Sorry, but you asked and we answered. STOP