You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Duplicate] sluggish behavior with ver1.9

hisuku

Hi there,

I noticed an overall drop of performance with the newest version. Especially when liquify masks are involved (but not necessarily bound to the use of liquify masks).

It will often react with huge lags even with only using the GUI (selecting tools, opening menus, switching personas etc but not doing anything to the file itself).

Can someone else confirm?

Update: Its not only sluggish but also a first grade battery consumer. 30% in half an hour.

My device is an iPad Pro 2nd Gen 10.5" with the latest OS installed (14.4 as today).

• Staff

Hi @hisuku,

Live filters are resource intensive, and the new Liquify one is one of the most intensive. If the slowness is related to this specific filter, we can't really compare it to 1.8 as this filter is new for 1.9

If the slowness is a general issue (say same file opened in 1.8 is worse in 1.9) we can have a look at it. Have you got some afphoto samples you can share? 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Hi @hisuku,

Live filters are resource intensive, and the new Liquify one is one of the most intensive. If the slowness is related to this specific filter, we can't really compare it to 1.8 as this filter is new for 1.9

If the slowness is a general issue (say same file opened in 1.8 is worse in 1.9) we can have a look at it. Have you got some afphoto samples you can share? 

its mostly with liquify layers involved (I have an separate topic ongoing about that with an example file included). For exporting an image (to take the example from the other topic) its 2:30min with an liquify mask applied on my iMac while it takes only 4 seconds without it. Yes, my iMac is old (2011) and I do expect a slight decrease in performance with every update but thats just incredible.

I have worked a lot with live masks before and never had any issues but the liquify live mask is on a whole different stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @hisuku I have the same problem. I have an iPad Air 4 iOS 14.4 but the issue is with Affinity Designer 1.9

I already did a test, factory reset my iPad and used it without the app with no battery drain problem, then I reinstalled and used it again and my battery started draining 1% by the minute (so basically same as you, 30% in half an hour). I had to delete the app in the end which is unfortunate since I use it to create art for my business.

what to do affinity team?

Edited by Anja

On 2/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, Gabe said:

Please don't create duplicate threads. I will close this as Chris is already dealing with your issue. 

Please dont close this since its not (only) about the live liquify layer but general sluggish behavior and battery drain. So could you please de-duplicate this?

2 hours ago, Anja said:

Hi @hisuku I have the same problem. I have an iPad Air 4 iOS 14.4 but the issue is with Affinity Designer 1.9

I already did a test, factory reset my iPad and used it without the app with no battery drain problem, then I reinstalled and used it again and my battery started draining 1% by the minute (so basically same as you, 30% in half an hour). I had to delete the app in the end which is unfortunate since I use it to create art for my business.

what to do affinity team?

Do you have any idea that it may be tied to certain functions like filters? I wasnt able to replicate the problem exactly. Sometimes it drains a lot of the battery (30% in half an hour which would be around the same you experienced), sometimes its very little. Could you please try a very basic project in comparison (like 1 layer and only simple pixel edits)?

But even then we could argue that more complicated features need more calculating power and thus more energy. But 1% per minute is insane!

Oh and welcome to the forum! I am still new here myself but the people are very friendly and helpfull. We are in good hands!

• Staff

Battery drain wise, I think it all really depends on what you're doing. If you use CPU intensive filters like the new Live Liquify, then yes, your battery will drain. Remember you've using a mobile device to perform tasks that are resource intensive, even for a desktop! There must be a tradeoff somewhere. You can't have top performance without using all the available resources > Which in turn will use a lot of battery. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Battery drain wise, I think it all really depends on what you're doing. If you use CPU intensive filters like the new Live Liquify, then yes, your battery will drain. Remember you've using a mobile device to perform tasks that are resource intensive, even for a desktop! There must be a tradeoff somewhere. You can't have top performance without using all the available resources > Which in turn will use a lot of battery. 

Yes, that is absolutely logical and from that point of view it makes sense.

But I noticed the battery drain before I started using the liquify layer. Since you asked I mentioned the liquify live layer but honestly I just mentioned that one because you asked and I knew nothing else. Can we just forget the mentioning of the layer at all? Of course it makes sense that the liquify layer will use more energy (but honestly: 1% per minute would still be insane if it only were that!).

As mentioned its hard to exactly replicate. But using the same project files still left on the device its using more battery than before. I havent benchmarked that before and after so its hard to put the finger on hard numbers and I can only tell what I think have experienced from my subjective point of view.