You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AMD Radeon RX Performance Problems

What?? I just got myself a tasty new RX 6800 and then I see this. :4_joy:  I can confirm AP is laggy as anything with Hardware Acceleration enabled, several seconds just to open a 24mp image, a fraction of a second without it.  A 14 image 24mp focus merge took 30 seconds without HA enabled, 2.5 minutes with HA enabled, and spat out rubbish (see attached).  AMD warned of a driver timeout part way through.

I look forward to a resolution! :D

APRX6800.JPG

I'm glad i checked this forum, i thought the app was just hanging on my xps 13 dell but then i tried on my big xps 15 with gpu - after switching off hardware acceleration it is now stable. i was seriously considering buying the photoshop subscription to keep working! hope you will fix soon

A quick update. I've filed a bug report with AMD, because it turns out that the AMD driver is compiling each hardware stage approx 10X slower than equivalent hardware from NVIDIA. This is what is leading to the performance problems within Affinity Photo. When I have more information, I will update everyone (it's likely that a driver update may fix this at some stage). For now, our recommendation is to disable hardware acceleration.

3 minutes ago, boulton lee said:

Hello, new drivers have been released by AMD, here is the benchmark with the latest drivers

I downloaded 21.2.2 (the latest drivers available) yesterday and unfortunately the problem still exists. The problem won't be visible in the benchmark, as we run the benchmark once, then discard the results before running again (to make sure everything is warmed up). This particular problem only shows on a cold run, but it is severe enough that it hinders the rest of the app.

Since the update to 1.9 have been experiencing a BSOD when using Affinity Photo. "thread stuck in device driver" You device needs to restart. Bios and graphics drivers update from the HP site but to no avail. Graphics card AMD Radeon Pro WX3200.

20210214_142401.jpg

Edited by Bomber

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Thanks for the reply @Mark Ingram  .This issue only apppears when I open Affinity.All was ok until I updated it. Have updated graphics drivers,BIOS and firmware with no difference.

That may be the case, because we do make use of your graphics card, however our application runs in “user mode” which means it can’t crash the operating system via a BSOD. Drivers run in “kernel mode” which means any errors in them can crash the whole operating system. You need to work out which driver is crashing (I assume it’s the GPU), and if you have the latest drivers, try using an older one to see if that fixes it. Failing that, try contacting HP. 

2 minutes ago, Photoman821Ave said:

Windows updated... Affinity Photo 1.9. Program launches but lags on photo load, developing etc. Was fine pre-1.9

This thread is to do with Radeon RX performance problems, and it seems from your screenshot that you don't have one of these GPUs. Try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that is better for you. The lag will only be on the initial load.

AMD RX 5700

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X

NVME SSD

16GB RAM

Hardware acceleration on:

image.png.b08b7641b565d83ef6786813f79002aa.png

For me the UI is so laggy. Everything from brushing to exporting takes a long time. 1.9 has a lot of freezes then recovers after few seconds. (acc on) 

Edited by Mark Ingram
No need to include "off" results

7 hours ago, DenisD84 said:

Hi @Mark Ingram,

when can we expect a patch? An update on the situation would be appropriate as the problem has been going on for about 4 weeks now.

Thank you

Report the problem to AMD. The more people complain, the faster AMD will work with Serif to find a solution.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

8 hours ago, DenisD84 said:

Hi @Mark Ingram,

when can we expect a patch? An update on the situation would be appropriate as the problem has been going on for about 4 weeks now.

Thank you

We don't comment on expected timelines for fixes / releases. Plus, the problem is with AMD, so we can't comment on how long it will take AMD to fix the problem. The 1.9.1 patch which is rolling out now disables hardware acceleration for AMD RX 5000 series and later cards. We know this isn't ideal, and we want to get hardware acceleration working again for these cards, but unfortunately their driver is compiling OpenCL kernels roughly 10X slower than equivalent cards from NVIDIA (or even previous cards from the AMD range).

Hey to the folks in the thread here as well: just so you're all aware I've passed this thread on to my contacts within AMD, so people will be aware of this issue relatively quickly, hopefully. Thanks for your keen eyes on this issue, and thank you to the Serif team for providing some temporary relief. I hope we'll be able to resolve this issue soon!

If you have specific repro steps or trouble files for the sort of performance issues you were having on 1.9.0, I'd love to see them for testing purposes. These will also be made available to the folks at AMD for testing this issue as well. There was another user in the 1.9.1 release notes who mentioned problems in the develop persona, which we've now verified, and more steps will help us out a lot.

Bonus points for the steps being simple and easy to replicate 😛

Hi @Mark Ingram,

You can do something with that statement. It's a pity that everything cost money.

AMD has now in the beta driver Open CL already in it but has brought no improvement.

But tomorrow I will reset the system and then see if it gets better somehow.

Then I only have one question if I go back to 1.8 and leave Publisher and Designer as they are, can I use all three directly in Publisher or do they all have to be on the same level? Thanks for the answer.

Have a nice weekend and stay healthy

49 minutes ago, DenisD84 said:

Then I only have one question if I go back to 1.8 and leave Publisher and Designer as they are, can I use all three directly in Publisher or do they all have to be on the same level? Thanks for the answer.

To use StudioLink to activate the Photo and Designer Personas in Publisher, all 3 applications must be at the same level.

I'm curious, though: why go back to 1.8? Why not just turn off OpenCL, or accept that it is forced off in 1.9.1? It should be the same speed as 1.8.5 was.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1