You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bug Report - Publisher 1.9.0 – Linked Images (from Designer doc) loses properties when Designer Doc link replaced

deeland

Following my usual workflow, after a client meet, I update the date-stamp the filename and version number, then relink the new designer doc to my new publisher doc. Since upgrading to Publisher 1.9.0, a new issue has arisen. The linked document previews are low-res previews (as you’d expect from a missing doc). Resource manager confirms the Status as OK, but on expanding the title, there are various sub-links needing a re-link to their doc master. After doing this a. few times, I gave up and went back to the main publisher doc. Image placement frames contain vastly horizontally stretched content, spanning the publisher doc window, or the link is missing, requiring the original doc to be replaced, and then the dartboard relinked. Only remedy at this point: go to each issue in the publisher doc, and either rescale the content back to the proportional and same scale as was originally used, and/or, as mentioned before, replace doc link and marry back to the appropriate artboard.

iMac Pro (2017) Processor: 3GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W / Memory: 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 / Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB | iPad Pro: 12.9 inch 2nd Gen

This is a HUGE issue. I’ve created a very simple example, with some new documents created from scratch.

[Publisher Master] will not tolerate the [Designer Source] being changed, even slightly. My original documents are fairly complex, so this simple test creates similar issues, on a less nightmarish scale.

Process: Master test v1.0.afpub has 3 groups consisting: 1 x picture frame and 1 x text label

Populate picture frames with artboards from Source test v1.0.afdesign (labels reflect what has been placed in the Picture Frames.)

A simple change to the 2nd artboard in Source test v2.0.afdesign, and document source updated in Master test v2.0.afpub, via Resource Manager, results in Publisher losing the plot.

Visual examples follow:

master test v1.0.png

source test v1.0.png

master test v2.0.png

source test v2.0.png

iMac Pro (2017) Processor: 3GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W / Memory: 64 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 / Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 64 16 GB | iPad Pro: 12.9 inch 2nd Gen

@rvgmiller I just had to roll back all three apps and rebuild my documents. Well, I’ve started and have heaps of work to do to get back on track. The issue just got worse as I saved my work, so it crept up on me, until all my placements in Publisher had failed, in a multi-page doc. Resource Manager indicates all okay, until you disclose the link and see each art board with random DPI and scaling. I must be getting up to 30 years in the industry, and haven’t come across an upgrade bug this bad. I’m not happy, and will upgrade to future versions with extreme caution. Lost confidence in the product, I’m afraid. It’s a stinker!

I'm lucky that I'm working on a reasonably small in-house document so I've just set up a continuous tiff export of the artboards from Designer and linked Publisher to the exported files for now. Would definitely have to roll back if it was something larger or more important.

I hope this gets patched as soon as possible.

@rvgmiller I had to export some Affinity Photo files to flattened PSD, in waiting for the fix. On the Designer side, I’m up to about 101 art boards, when things got crazy. When you roll back, you have to roll back all three apps, otherwise Publisher won’t place newer versions of Photo or Designer. Still better than Adobe! 😄

@rvgmiller Of note: the older 1.8.6 versions are way faster to open, and the art boards place fast, so the bugs and performance issues may run deep on 1.9.0 macOS. Fix might be a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, EddCh said:

Can I revert back to a previous version? If so, how?

Not if you have the Mac App Store version and don’t have a Time Machine or similar backup, but if you have the Affinity Store version you can download any of several older releases via the link below.

https://store.serif.com/update/macos/publisher/1

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I would also like to report that I have the same problem as @deeland .

When I make changes to a linked Designer file, it destroys all Publisher Frames that reference the Designer file

The linked designer file has about 40 Artboards.

When will this fatal error be corrected? Affinity Publisher cannot be used in this form.

Currently tested with Publisher / Designer 1.91 under MacOS Big Sur 11.2.3.