You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Drag from Fill Color to Swatches

I'd like to be able to to select an object, then be able to click and drag its fill or stroke color down into the swatches.

Likewise, being able to drag a shape with a certain color into the swatches and it creates a new swatch would be very useful.

Maybe there is a way to do something similar to this and I just haven't found it? I've been having the hardest time with creating new swatches.

rhumbrecht,

While it isn't quite the same, it is actually a little faster, you can right click or control + click on an object and you will see the contextual menu which has the option to "Add to/Swatches". I do agree with you, I too think we should be able to drag objects to the swatches panel to add colours. I also think we should be able to drag swatches and drop them on to objects to colour them as well. 

Hokusai

post-3209-0-66993100-1443137725_thumb.png

Great! The contextual menu is definitely helpful. Thank you, Hokusai!

My current issue is that I have a gradient of which I want to create a swatch of each endpoint color.

When I pick the colors for the endpoints, I was trying to drag the endpoint color from the gradient color picker panel over to my document swatches... Check out my screenshot for a better explanation  :unsure:

You can see that I circled the color that I want to make into a swatch in red, on the left. I haven't found an easy way to move those endpoint colors over to the swatch panel, and I figured drag & drop would be the most convenient feature to add!

post-3267-0-86779300-1443177161_thumb.png

rhumbrecht, this works in the current Photo Beta, not sure about Photo MAS.

With the desired Swatches panel open, click on the desired endpoint in your Gradient instead of the Gradient Editor.  Then click on the little palette icon beside the Swatches Name bar to add the color to the swatches.  Hope this helps.

rhumbrecht,

To further expand on what LilleG said, if you select the end point that you want to add to your Swatches, you will see it's colour value is shown on the "Colour" palette, if you click on the little icon that is in the upper right hand corner of the palette you will see a fly out menu (or drop down) with the option to "Add to Swatches". After adding one colour, simply select your other gradient endpoint and then repeat the process. I have attached a screen shot. This works in both Designer and Photo. LilleG, I think you meant "Colour" palette and not the swatches palette. The options for the "Swatches" palette do other things. 

Being able to drag the colour from the Colour palette to the Swatches palette would be nice. 

Best of luck,

Hokusai

post-3209-0-62123100-1443194448_thumb.png

No, Hokusai, I meant the Swatches palette.   If you simply click on the palette icon beside the name of the Swatches palette you want to add it to, it will add the color.  Try it.  Have the Swatches palette you want to add the color to open.  Click (not right-click, just click) on the desired end dot of the gradients...IN the gradient, not the gradient editor...then click (again, just click, not right-click) on the palette icon.  That's all you have to do.   :)

Being able to drag the colour from the Colour palette to the Swatches palette would be nice. 

Hokusai, you don't need to drag anything.  With the desired color as primary in the Color Panel, open the desired Swatches panel and simply click on the little palette icon to the right of the name of your swatch set.  That will add the color to your swatches. Simple, quick, and easy. Hope this helps. :)

LilleG,

Thanks, sorry I didn't realise that you were talking about the "swatches" in the gradient editor and so it seemed odd but now I realise what you were talking about. The "swatches name bar" was throwing me off but now I understand what you were talking about. Thanks.  

Hokusai

Hi!

Related to this... is there any way to have the stroke of an object be the same colour of its fill? I mean, an easy way could be to drag fill's colour from the circle that represents the fill and release it in the stroke's circumference, but colour drag and drop is not implemented. If you're using a colour in a huge palette, looking for it again can be a pain, so the only options I've found are to re-create it with the colour tool and apply it, or to select it with eyedropper and apply it, wich is a bit slow.

How do you do this?

• 2 weeks later...

Currently using Photo 1.3.5. I've searched through HELP as well as various Forums regarding how to add colors to the Swatches palette and followed various how-to instructions...nothing works.

In Photoshop I'd simply be able to select a color as the foreground, then click on the first empty palette space in the Swatches palette to add that color...really easy. 

In Affinity Photo in "Photo Persona" mode, filling a layer with color and Control+clicking on it does bring up "Add to Swatches" in the contextual menu, but further sub-option selections there are all grayed out. Clicking on the little "palette" icon in the Swatches palette does nothing either.

Selected the drop down Apple "Crayons" palette in both List and Swatch display mode, went through selecting and applying eight colors to a new document...none of them got added to the supposed "Recent" color display row in the SWATCHES palette either...

I've tried dragging from the swatches palette, using the color picker, using ctrl / cmnd / optn / shft keys and all manner of combos with various click/drag mouse actions, using various color wheels, preset palettes, the Color Chooser dialog, HSL Color Wheel...NOTHING WORKS!

But did you try this....With the desired color as primary in the Color Panel, open the desired Swatches panel and simply click on the little palette icon to the right of the name of your swatch set.  That will add the color to your swatches. Simple, quick, and easy. Hope this helps. 

Affinity does a number of things in ways that are not what we are accustomed to using.  They work well but it can take a bit of effort to discover them sometimes. And usually someone has, and will be glad to respond so don't hesitate to ask if you have further questions.  :) 

Currently using Photo 1.3.5. I've searched through HELP as well as various Forums regarding how to add colors to the Swatches palette and followed various how-to instructions...nothing works.

In Photoshop I'd simply be able to select a color as the foreground, then click on the first empty palette space in the Swatches palette to add that color...really easy. 

In Affinity Photo in "Photo Persona" mode, filling a layer with color and Control+clicking on it does bring up "Add to Swatches" in the contextual menu, but further sub-option selections there are all grayed out. Clicking on the little "palette" icon in the Swatches palette does nothing either.

Selected the drop down Apple "Crayons" palette in both List and Swatch display mode, went through selecting and applying eight colors to a new document...none of them got added to the supposed "Recent" color display row in the SWATCHES palette either...

I've tried dragging from the swatches palette, using the color picker, using ctrl / cmnd / optn / shft keys and all manner of combos with various click/drag mouse actions, using various color wheels, preset palettes, the Color Chooser dialog, HSL Color Wheel...NOTHING WORKS!

After applying your colors to the document, you can create a new swatch palette using the document's colors. You can export/import these and use them in other documents, as well.

post-19524-0-21319300-1444513345_thumb.png