You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

GPS Location Data Lost in Affinity Photo Processing

MarvinR

The workflow that is involved is: (1) GPS location data added to .NEF file in NeoFinder software; (2) .NEF file edited in DxO PhotoLab 4  and exported as a .TIF file; and (3) .TIF file processed in Affinity Photo and exported as .JPG file.  I checked the exported .TIF file and the GPS location data was present in the file. I checked the .JPG file and the GPS location data was not present. So, it looks like the GPS location data was lost during processing in Affinity Photo.  To simplify things I repeated the test and this time in Affinity Photo I simply exported as a .JPG without making any adjustments at all.  The results were that the GPS location data was not present in the .JPG that was produced.

I am attaching both the .TIF file and the .JPG file I am writing about so you can see what I mean.  For me this isn't a critical problem because I can use NeoFinder to copy the GPS location data from the .TIF to the .JPG.  But, others maybe surprised as I was to find the final product did not contain any GPS location data.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Running on Mac mini M1 16GB RAM 1TB HD   Big Sur 11.2

D3200_ShellsOnTable_02-07-2021-999_1345_DxO.jpg

D3200_ShellsOnTable_02-07-2021-999_1345_DxO.tif

Edited by MarvinR
Updating with OS info

The JPG file doesn't seem to have any metadata.

That could be because:

• You did not have "Embed Metadata" selected in the More... options when you performed the Export. Or
  • The forum software removed it when you uploaded. (In that case, please zip the file and upload again.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The JPG file doesn't seem to have any metadata.

That could be because:

• You did not have "Embed Metadata" selected in the More... options when you performed the Export. Or
  • The forum software removed it when you uploaded. (In that case, please zip the file and upload again.)

@Walt.farrell, I did have "Embed Metadata" selected in the More...options when I did the export.  I just zipped the JPG and am attaching it here. Thanks for checking it.

D3200_ShellsOnTable_02-07-2021-999_1345_DxO.jpg.zip

46 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hi both,

Thanks for spotting this. Look like we don't read that GPS data properly, so when we export it, it's just omitted. Issue logged. 

No problem Gabe.  You all do a great job with the Affinity Photo.  Really like the positive steps each release has made.

Peace

• 2 weeks later...

@Gabe, looks like this is fixed by Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.1.221 - RC1).  Tested the copy I had submitted with the bug report and it worked fine.  GPS data was in the exported JPG and also appeared when in the metadata when I looked at the JPG in Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.1.221 - RC1).     

Gabe what I wrote above was after I had tested using the Batch Job option to generate the JPG.

EDITED:  

@Gabe  I tested this GPS not being read problem using Affinity Photo Customer Beta (1.9.1.221 - RC1).  It works fine when the JPG is created using the File--->New Batch Job option.  The resulting JPG shows the GPS data when I open it back into Affinity Photo.  However, after I did that test and was very pleased to see the results, I thought I should test by using the File--->Export option. The JPG generated using the File-->Export option did not contain any GPS data. Additionally, if you look at the .TIF file in Affinity Photo you can see that the GPS data is there.

I would guess the code used by  File--->Export to generate the JPG file needs to be modified as it appears the code for File--->New Batch Job was modified.

In the attached zip file are the TIF file, the JPG file generated by the Batch process, and the JPG file generated by the Export process.  The file names for the JPG files indicate if the file was created by Batch process or Export process.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Marvin

Archive.zip

Edited by MarvinR
FURTHER TESTING ON MY PART

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I can't replicate this File > Export here. The Jpeg I exported has all the GPS data. I've only exported a quick 10px x 7px from it to keep the size down. 

D3200_ShellsOnTable_02-07-2021-999_1345_DxO.jpg.zip 3.03 kB · 0 downloads

image.png

@Gabe, my apology.  I just ran the test again and it works completely fine in the Beta.  When I did the Export I bet I hit the wrong icon and ran the release that had the bug. Sorry to have taken up your time. 

Peace