You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pattern layers as assets

Frances Proctor

I was just having a bit of a play with patterns and I discovered they can be easily saved as assets!   Simply make sure your pattern layer is  selected and in the assets panel click the menu button on the right side of the category and chose add from selection.  It seems to work just fine and you can easily drop in the pattern layer to whatever document you are working on.

I have attached a few patterns I was playing with in an assets file.  the zip file conains an assets file that has 5 pattern layers for anyone who might like to play around with them and I'd be interested in knowing if there are any issues importing and using them.  you should be able to drag them from the assets panel and drop them into your document .   

patterns samples.png

test_patterns.zip

Yeah just make sure you have everything backed up as I discovered to my dismay today. Over a period of a few months, after discovering what I could do with assets,  I was excited as it's a brilliant feature and had built several design elements under about 10 different categories including my pattern design templates, KDP interiors collections and close to over 100 designs I had created spontaneously and stored there thinking it was safe. Well after launching the new AD 1.9 today, my entire asset collection is gone, except the default iOS one (useless to me)- I'm livid.

A bit late now but it is possible to Export Categories within Assets. Shame there is no way to Export the whole Asset library in one go.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Another interesting thing about saving your patterns as assets is they work in Designer!  You have to have photo to create them but once you have a category of patterns saved as assets you ca export them then import them into Designer and they scale and rotate etc just like they do in photo.I could see it being useful

17 hours ago, Angelize said:

click the menu button on the right side of the category and chose add from selection

24 minutes ago, Angelize said:

You could  import batches of assets of any kind that way as well as lPattern layers

Thanks! 👍

On 2/9/2021 at 4:22 AM, DM1 said:

A bit late now but it is possible to Export Categories within Assets. Shame there is no way to Export the whole Asset library in one go.

Thanks but only found out about this recently on the forums. To be honest I had no clue that assets had to be exported, I thought an asset library was exactly that- a library. Funny thing is my own custom assets disappeared except that iOS asset library 🙄🙄. I'm still trying to research solutions to retrieving them. I still can't accept my entire asset library is gone forever.

On 2/9/2021 at 4:22 AM, DM1 said:

Thanks yes I recently learned assets need to be exported, but doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the whole asset library idea, unless I'm missing something? I thought the whole point of the asset library was having all your assets readily available within the app. Before I discovered how to use Assets, I stored all my vector design elements & motifs as Affinity files in a folder and sub-folders for the various categories on my desktop. Then every time I needed an asset, I'd open the file in Affinity Designer in a separate window.

Please can you help clarify this- When the assets are exported do they leave the asset library or is the export feature for saving/backup? Thanks.

In the Assets panel, you can create different Categories (folders) with objects/items.
You get quick access to your library, it saves a lot of time for you.

2 hours ago, pyxelles said:

When the assets are exported do they leave the asset library

Of course not.

2 hours ago, pyxelles said:

or is the export feature for saving/backup?

Yes.