You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot update Photo 1.8 to 1.9 via Apple App Store

I purchased Afiniti Photo through the Apple App store several years ago, and am trying to update to the latest version (1.9), but I keep getting error messages stating "The ITunes Store cannot process this request. Please try again later" and "There was an error with the App Store. Please try again later". I've been trying for several days. Any ideas?

That sounds like something you should take up with the Mac App Store support team, @JDF1960.  The Serif team won't be able to help with that kind of error.

(Though I do wonder, as a Windows user: Are the Mac App Store and the iTunes Store two separate functions? If so, it seems odd that if you're using the Mac App Store you would be getting about the iTunes Store. That's still something that Apple Support would have to deal with, though, whatever the answer is.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

After a chat with Apple telephone support I managed to fix the problem which was similar to youra. Although I couldn't update the Affinity apps if I deleted them from my Macs 'Applications' folder, the App Store recognized them as not on the system and gave me the option of downloading them from fresh which then gave me the latest versions. As I was a bit hesitant to delete the original 1.8 versions of the apps, in case Iit didn't fix the problem and lost the apps altogether, I just moved them to the trash as it seemed to hide them from the App Stores sight. Hope this works for you.

• Staff

Hi @JDF1960,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

If you're having trouble downloading the update through the Apple App Store, please try the below steps -

• Log out of the App Store
  • Restart your Mac
  • Log back into the App Store
  • Navigate to Updates, then select Store > Refresh
  • Select 'Update' for the Affinity app(s)

(Note if you have already removed the app, you will need to navigate to Purchases and not Updates.)

If this doesn't help then you may need to contact Apple Support directly, as we have no control over the Apple App Store :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi @JDF1960,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

If you're having trouble downloading the update through the Apple App Store, please try the below steps -

• Log out of the App Store
  • Restart your Mac
  • Log back into the App Store
  • Navigate to Updates, then select Store > Refresh
  • Select 'Update' for the Affinity app(s)

(Note if you have already removed the app, you will need to navigate to Purchases and not Updates.)

If this doesn't help then you may need to contact Apple Support directly, as we have no control over the Apple App Store :)

Hi Dan C,

I have exactly the same problem for about a week now.

I followed your instructions but it's still not working.

It says "The iTunes Store is unable to process purchases at this time. Please try again later".

I've contacted the Apple forum and people are experiencing the same problem with El Capitan OSX.

If this can't be fixed by Apple (I purchased Affinity Publisher and Designer via the App Store) is there a way to do this manually via Affinitiy website?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, AlecC said:

After a chat with Apple telephone support I managed to fix the problem which was similar to youra. Although I couldn't update the Affinity apps if I deleted them from my Macs 'Applications' folder, the App Store recognized them as not on the system and gave me the option of downloading them from fresh which then gave me the latest versions. As I was a bit hesitant to delete the original 1.8 versions of the apps, in case Iit didn't fix the problem and lost the apps altogether, I just moved them to the trash as it seemed to hide them from the App Stores sight. Hope this works for you.

This is the solution. It's a bit inconvenient but it works. Thanks!

Original poster of " App Store cannot process orders "  failure to update Affinity Photo.

I spent over an hour chatting with Apple Support to no resolution.  My Affinity Photo purchase 1.6x via the Apple App Store from 3 years ago updated just fine  , till now. A eyar ago I bought Designer and Publisher directly from Serif, and they had no problem updating  to 1.9 from the In-App update. The issue was and remains with Apple.

My solution ?  Since Affinity Photo was on sale for half price, I just bought it again and started over with a clean re-install. All good now.  Having the in-app Auto-Update feature is worth it to me.

My advice to all : Do not buy your Affinity apps from Apple's App Store. Get them directly from Serif, who will deservedly get to keep all the purchase money instead of just 70 percent of it. I will be wary going forward of buying from the App Store.

I think the issue may have something to do with me still using Mac OS  El Capitan 11.6 , which Apple quite supporting quite a whiole ago. i think they don;t want to have to deal with supporting the older OS , but they also don;t seem to place a high value on a loyal Apple customer whose been using nothing but Macs since 1996. Apple deprecated mealog with the operating system.

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That sounds like something you should take up with the Mac App Store support team, @JDF1960.  The Serif team won't be able to help with that kind of error.

(Though I do wonder, as a Windows user: Are the Mac App Store and the iTunes Store two separate functions? If so, it seems odd that if you're using the Mac App Store you would be getting about the iTunes Store. That's still something that Apple Support would have to deal with, though, whatever the answer is.)

Answer: when I originally bought the Affinity software, Apple was still using the iTunes Store alongside the App Store. The original purchase was inf act thru thru iTunes. Seems ridiculous then and moreso now.   Apple has since evolved away from iTunes store , to just Apple Music and App Store separate.  It was never a brilliant marketing scheme...iTunes was is and remains a  bloated whale carcass washed up on the shore....

• Staff

Thanks all for letting me know this is now resolved and my apologies on behalf of Apple for any inconveniences here!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Good to hear this helped! Seems the easiest of solutions, you'd never think about, worked! I'd probably think about buying direct from Affinity next time (instead of through App Store), much easier to solve without a go between updater program to worry about when any installer or app problems arise. I wonder if Affinity will have any special sidegrade discount options, for prior App Store Affiniy owners, if they purchase direct from Affinity when version 2.0 apps appear?

• Staff
2 minutes ago, AlecC said:

I wonder if Affinity will have any special sidegrade discount options, for prior App Store Affiniy owners, if they purchase direct from Affinity when version 2.0 apps appear?

We haven't yet discussed an upgrade path/discount to v2.0 as we're still focused on version 1.x currently, so I can't give you a definite answer at this point, my apologies!

Please note -

Many thanks!