You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,

First off, congratulations for the latest update 1.9, such a great release! The hardware acceleration is making a lot of difference on my end, much appreciated.

I've got a question about the new pattern layer feature.
After defining a new pattern from a bitmap selection I wonder if there's a way to reposition the content being mapped to the pattern.
Which is different from moving the pattern layer itself. I guess what I'm asking for is if there's a way to control the content of the pattern layer (the bitmap) and move, scale or rotate only the bitmap while the pattern stays in place.

Hope that makes sense.

Best,
Piero

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

Thanks @telemax

Affine is not what I'm looking for.

I guess an example will make more sense.
I did this quickly to show what I mean. In the top-left viewport I control the position, scale, and rotation of the image. In our case, it would be the bitmap selection in Affinity Photo.
On the right viewport you can notice the result and on the bottom-left viewport the bitmap source.

Piero Desopo

Direction, Design <http://phoenixart.com>

Photography <http://www.pierodesopo.com>

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @phoenixart,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

On 2/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, phoenixart said:

First off, congratulations for the latest update 1.9, such a great release! The hardware acceleration is making a lot of difference on my end, much appreciated.

Many thanks for your kind feedback, it's certainly appreciated and I will be sure to pass this along to the team here :)

On 2/8/2021 at 11:46 PM, phoenixart said:

After defining a new pattern from a bitmap selection I wonder if there's a way to reposition the content being mapped to the pattern.

Unfortunately this isn't possible, once you've defined and created the Pattern Layer from your selection, this selected area is 'hard-baked' into the adjustment.

You can open the Pattern Layer and view the content that was within the selection, but essentially the Affinity app creates a duplicate of the pixels within the selection and uses this to create the pattern layer, disregarding any other content that was in the pixel layer that had been used to generate the pattern layer.

This can be seen by selecting the Pattern Layer with the Move Tool and then choosing 'Open As New Document' from the context toolbar. As you'll see, only the area that was used to create the Pattern Layer is copied into this document, hence you cannot move the 'selection' for the Pattern Layer after creating this.

I believe our developers are looking into ways to allow this to be non-destructive, such that you could alter this in the future - however I have no further information regarding this currently.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)