You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing orientation affects dynamic brush shortcut

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Bruno Henrique,

My apologies for the delayed response here!

I can confirm that when holding down CTRL + ALT with the brush tool active, you should be shown the 'quick settings' for the brush in use, where you can drag your mouse whilst holding left click to adjust the brush.

As you've mentioned, whilst using this modifier to change the brush settings, scrolling with your scroll wheel will also adjust the canvas rotation - as far as I understand it this is expected behaviour, as the canvas rotates in small increments when using ALT + Scroll Wheel, and larger increments when using CTRL + ALT + Scroll Wheel.

If you wish to disable the canvas rotation shortcut, you can do so through Edit > Preferences > Tools and then untick Enable Canvas Rotation with Alt + Scroll Wheel.

I can certainly understand the assumption that this would be disabled when using the Brush tool, as the 2 shortcuts do somewhat overlap - however many users will require canvas rotation when using the Paint Brush Tool, so our devs have tried to provide a solution that pleases as many users as possible.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

33 minutes ago, Dan C said:

As you've mentioned, whilst using this modifier to change the brush settings, scrolling with your scroll wheel will also adjust the canvas rotation - as far as I understand it this is expected behaviour, as the canvas rotates in small increments when using ALT + Scroll Wheel, and larger increments when using CTRL + ALT + Scroll Wheel.

I'm not sure if Bruno was talking about that, or whether the comment was about needing to drag the mouse in different directions after rotating the view with the new mouse-related shortcuts.

Normally you would drag the mouse horizontally to adjust width, and vertically to adjust hardness, for example. But once you've rotated the view using the new shortcuts, you have to drag on a diagonal to change those settings. Note: This was also true when using the keyboard shortcuts to rotate the view, but for me it was less noticeable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure if Bruno was talking about that, or whether the comment was about needing to drag the mouse in different directions after rotating the view with the new mouse-related shortcuts.

Thanks Walt, I do believe you're correct and I misunderstood the post from OP (apologies!), but hopefully Bruno can confirm :)

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Normally you would drag the mouse horizontally to adjust width, and vertically to adjust hardness, for example. But once you've rotated the view using the new shortcuts, you have to drag on a diagonal to change those settings

I can see what you mean by this and I am unsure if this is by design or not. On one hand I can understand the expectation to always want to move your mouse vertically/horizontally in relation to your desk, however if you have rotated the canvas you may want to keep your mouse movements relative to the document itself.

I will check with our QA/Dev team to see if this is expected behaviour or not and respond here with any information I can find!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming and for the screen recording Bruno - this isn't expected behaviour as the brush shortcuts should always require the same directional movement, regardless of the canvas orientation.

I will get this logged as a bug with our developers now, thanks for your report :)