You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9.0 CRASH.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:50 PM, Feribayati said:

I uninstalled version 1.9, rebooted the computer, installed version 1.8.5.

Surprise, surprise ! Now this one crashes too.

Anybody has this new problem now?

Yes, and now my Affinty Photo 1.8.5 thinks my Embedded Documents are now Linked Documents which is a feature that didn't exist in 1.8.5 and now I can't change them! Also every single embedded document is disconnected from each other and months of work on product mockups for my business are now completely detroyed.

The only way i can get Affinity Photo to work is change the graphics adaptor to WARP.

Then the problem has disappeared for ten sessions in a row!

Don't really know if this affects anything else, so far so good!

Yippee.

David

I too am having the same annoying problem with Affinity Photo 1.9 where the program just suddenly disappears randomly when I click on anything in the workspace. I can click on the crop tool or brush or most anything and the program will just vanish. It can happen a half hour after editing, or sometimes in a few minutes. There is no chance to save work. There is no crash report. I don't have OpenCL enabled.. I've been with Affinity Photo since 1.7 and had never had a problem until the last release of 1.9. I tried reverting back to 1.8.5, but now it is happening with that version as well. I don't know if there were some remnants left after uninstalling 1.9, or perhaps there were some Windows 10 updates that could be causing problems. I have latest drivers. Everything is up to date. I've been all over these forums looking for an answer and I'm stumped. Lately I've had to revert back to using an older version of Photoshop. I'm about ready to delete Affinity and go the the subscription for Photoshop. I'm hoping there is a better solution. I've spent a lot of time and effort learning Affinity so would prefer to keep it, but as is, it is unusable for me. Thanks for reading my rant. Hopefully someone has a suggestion that will help. Thanks.

Have you already disabled hardware acceleration in Affinity Photo?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

I can only recommend that you go through the steps I have listed here. Only the 3rd step is interesting for you.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Another user solved a similar problem by making sure he had a clean install of Photo.

9 hours ago, mrburns said:

HI All,

Yesterday I posted a reply that now appears to be missing.  It was good news:-

Yesterday I uninstalled 1.9.1.979 and reinstalled  from the downloaded file. (1.9.1.979) - I checked that the directory etc was deleted by the uninstall process before reinstalling

install went ok and the program is working properly.

Thus far, disabling hardware acceleration within Affinity Photo's preferences has worked. I just left Photo open for about 3 hours, and have resumed working with no problems. Previously, leaving the machine unattended for 10 minutes was a sure-fire way to have a program crash.

So I am hopeful that "de-accelerizing" Affinity Photo will work!

• Staff

@mauarg

Sorry to hear that Please can you make your own new thread about the My Account connection problem and I will have someone investigate it.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

I have NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti which seems OpenCL compatible (On1 Photo RAW works perfectly).
Latest Game-Ready drivers (466.11) from Nvidia automatically updated.

And 1.9 (1.9.2.1035) Affinity Photo just hangs after a few minutes of work (I've pasted a simple image into a 200MB PSD for compositing). App goes blank white and there it is. Never returns back. I need to explicitly kill it.

Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.19042 Build 19042

Edited by Dentharg
Additional info on versions of AP and drivers

• Staff

@Dentharg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Sorry to hear that. As you are using the latest drivers I suggest for now that you turn Hardware acceleration off for now in Preferences > Performance, and try the next beta when we release one.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 hours ago, Dentharg said:

One question though:

nVidia drivers come in two flavours:

• game ready drivers
  • studio drivers

I have currently installed the "Game Ready Drivers". Is it better recommended to use Studio ones?

The studio ones are said to be more stable but are updated less often. FWIW I use studio.

• Staff
13 hours ago, Wemerson Santos said:

After the problems, I went back to version 1.8.5 and didn't try again with 1.9.0, did any new updates come up? Possibly fixed the problems?

There are lots of fixes in the beta. I'd recommend running that alongside whatever retail version you have installed: