You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9.0 CRASH.

On 2/9/2021 at 3:51 PM, Russ7388 said:

I have had the same issue with Affinity Photo just shutting down. After several days of trying to resolve the issue I have resorted to re-installing the previous version (1.85).  A word of caution if you do this, any work you have done and saved using any of the new features in the latest version (1.9) will prevent the file opening in the previous version (1.85).  However after saying that, it is much better working with the old version without this bug and I am content to wait until these bugs have been fixed before going onto version (1.9).

I have done exactly the same Russ7388, reinstalled 1.85.....I was sick of the lagging in 1.9 and random shutting down/returning to Windows 10 desktop.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, Chimes said:

Yep, getting the same problem, after I develop, and it always happens while trying to use various edits, goes "not responding" and then completely down with all my work.

It has happened with every one of my photos.

Never happened before this update, now unusable in its current form.

Update-

Ok, just tried with all my other apps closed, browser,  Canon DPP that I use to view, etc, and got through a series of edits and finished this time.  Nonetheless, it is a new problem, am thinking this new version is a bit "weighty" for my i5, 8G RAM, 512 SSD laptop?

Anyway, found the earlier versions page.  Back on 1.8.  Problem solved but for me there is no update.

"am thinking this new version is a bit "weighty" for my i5, 8G RAM, 512 SSD laptop?"

Totally agree Chimes, it's really weighty. I just wonder if Affinity took 8GB laptops into considertation before releasing this update? There's new functions I won't even use in a month of Sundays

1 hour ago, AITCH said:

"am thinking this new version is a bit "weighty" for my i5, 8G RAM, 512 SSD laptop?"

Totally agree Chimes, it's really weighty. I just wonder if Affinity took 8GB laptops into considertation before releasing this update? There's new functions I won't even use in a month of Sundays

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? 

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration? 

Ok I have put 1.9 back on (give it benefit of the doubt) and disabled the hardware acceleration as you suggested Mark. I thought having it ticked would be what is suggested for the update to run properly as it goes, fingers crossed mate. I'll get back with a review of how things are going

12 minutes ago, colinmel said:

1.9 was crashing to desktop for me when stacking using the new Astrophotography Stack feature. All of my (massive!) 8GB of RAM was being gobbled up. I reduced the RAM Usage Limit in the Performance preferences to 2048 MB and it seems to run fine now. Would be interested to know if this works for others.

Clipboard01.gif

Might give that a go myself mate

Affinity 1.9 crashed on me too. My laptop has Intel HD Graphic 630, and NIVADA GTX 1050, I tried selecting both, and checked to make sure drivers were up to date, they were.. Was developing 24 MB Nikon D610 RAW image, never made it out of develop. Crash usually happened when cropping or zooming. I disabled the Open CL and tried it again, it worked. Based on all the other posts I will use Affiniity sparingly and look forward to an update. I have to say, though, that I was comparing Affinity to Topaz for sharpening. I found Topaz to be quite slow, and the Affinity sharpening in raw development looked as good if not better.

Getting crashes with 1.9

In the middle of editing and it just closes. No error message. Also seems to keep freezing.

System HP Z600 46GB Ram, Dual 4 core Xeon processors and 500GB SSD

Update: cranked up RAM limit to stop swap file use and it seems stable again.

Edited by p2n
update

• 2 weeks later...

I also have an issue with affinity crashing. I cant recall what I was doing yesterday when it crashed but know roughly what happened this time. All photos used were previously unedited:

• I did a focus merge of two jpeg photos,
  • Placed a third jpeg photo file to use for some missing details
  • Erased parts not required from third photo
  • Merged third photo layer down
  • copied and pasted small sections from merged photo to use for missing details (3 or four layers)
  • transformed each with move tool - by this time i was starting to have issues with the layer thumbnails being pixelated/unclear; when i went to use move tool it caused jumping off the selected layer; cursor had a pixelated line/ square under it
  • i added a fill layer to check what I had erased -  the layer was transparent and filled when i moved the cursor about, no clicking
  • Used mesh/warp tool to begin blending perspective for the copy pasted layers
  • zoomed in close affinity froze and stopped responding

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz   3.70 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti

Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2

system type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/tLLa482qhdBuoqXCd9JXMdLcXNQWUnpldWl7ITiKf8W

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/c6KK0ucTKFlW3fh3KJ1CbVXJBBvkjKOfmkdBvcbD0wF

Screenshot of task manager & Screenshot of affinity crash

Guys, I need help urgently.

I have already completely reinstalled Affinity Photo (I hope I saved my brushes and presets) because I can't launch it after selecting WARP in the hardware acceleration - big mistake!
Why does this option even exist?! 😫

I still see the splash screen and for a millisecond the beginnings of an interface, but then the app closes completely.

How can I reset this setting?

Nevermind … 🤦‍♂️

image.png.fa30ae89db9f5800f953a9bcabfee8bc.png

Cheers
MrDoodlezz

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

On Twitter, Affinity told me to update drivers.  They were up to date, the app still crashes in the middle of my editing, so unusable.  Told them this and now back to reinstalled version 1.8.5 which doesn't crash.  They're now ignoring me on Twitter, I guess they just don't want to admit their update is bugged and unusable.

2 hours ago, Chimes said:

On Twitter, Affinity told me to update drivers.  They were up to date, the app still crashes in the middle of my editing, so unusable.  Told them this and now back to reinstalled version 1.8.5 which doesn't crash.  They're now ignoring me on Twitter, I guess they just don't want to admit their update is bugged and unusable.

Or, our support team are very busy.

What GPU and driver version are you using? Try disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences (in 1.9). 

1 hour ago, mauarg said:

This is really insane... I can't simply work anymore, as it crashes every couple of minutes. It's impossible to use it. Any tips to improve it a bit, at least ?

Here only improved by going back to the previous version friend, I will wait for a next update after trying to update again.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:36 PM, mauarg said:

This is really insane... I can't simply work anymore, as it crashes every couple of minutes. It's impossible to use it. Any tips to improve it a bit, at least ?

What GPU and driver version are you using? Try disabling hardware acceleration in Preferences (in 1.9) and see if it makes a difference. 

• Staff

@Toula

Which of the suggestions in this thread have you already tried?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@Toula

56 minutes ago, Toula said:

I've tried reducing RAM usage limit to 5120 and then to 2048

I do not think that reducing available memory is something that Serif staff have ever suggested, even though a user said it seemed to help them above. 

Instead, try disabling hardware acceleration in Affinity > Preferences > Performance and see if it makes a difference.

If it does install the latest graphics drivers for your card and try again with Hardware acceleration if you want, or just leave it off.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Me too. I can't go 5 minutes doing simple tasks such as using the paint brush without a crash.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 150ch0xx
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz   3.10 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

4 hours ago, dbeach said:

Me too. I can't go 5 minutes doing simple tasks such as using the paint brush without a crash.

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 150ch0xx
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8705G CPU @ 3.10GHz   3.10 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch    Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

Try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that's better.