You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.9.0 CRASH.

Hello.

Recently updated Affinity Photo to version 1.9.0 and I have not been able to work with it because it crashes all the time.

I am using Sony A7III and Sony RX100 III saving files in RAW and JPG.

I have not yet gathered precise information on the circumstances that cause the crash because I would first like to know if other people have had similar cases and if this is a known problem with this version of the software.

In any case please let me know if information about how and when the crash occurs may be useful, what kind of information to provide and if it is possible to gather information regarding the state of the system in the instance the crash occurs.

Best regards.

F.I.Bayati.

• Staff

Hello Feribayati, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Are you using a discrete graphics card by any chance? If so, I'd recommend making sure you are using the latest drivers. We are seeing a link between crashing and OpenCL and old graphics drivers. You can try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Performance and see if the crashing still occurs.

Hello.

Thank you for your reply.

OpenCL in Preferences > Performance is disabled

I Checked Os integrity uninstall seldom needed software.

I uninstalled Affinity Photo, Downloaded the software from the Affinity site and reinstalled it
But the crashers occur nevertheless.

I am using files from Sony A7III, Sone RX100 III, Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 both in raw and jpeg.

Following are the details of my computer system configuration.

Attached is a screen capture video of one of the software crashes that occured after all the ubove.
This time the crash occured while developing a Raw file, but it is not the case alwys. Crashes occur randomly during the woek.
I have many more screen capture videos of the crashes occuring following othe actions performed in Affinity photo which I can send to you if necessary.

Attacched is also a screenshot of the Preferences > Performance screen.

I hope a solution can be found to this problem.

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Bayati.

---------------------------

OS Name                Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version                10.0.15063 Build 15063
Other OS Description         Not Available
OS Manufacturer            Microsoft Corporation
System Name            BLACK-CAT
System Manufacturer        ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model            GL502VMZ
System Type            x64-based PC
System SKU    
Processor            Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 
                4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date        American Megatrends Inc. GL502VMZ.307, 22/04/2019
SMBIOS Version            3.0
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode            UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer        ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model            Not Available
BaseBoard Name            Base Board
Platform Role            Mobile
Secure Boot State        On
PCR7 Configuration        Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory        C:\Windows
System Directory        C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device            \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale                Belgium
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.15063.909"
Username            BLACK-CAT\feri_
Time Zone            Romance Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory(RAM)    16,0 GB
Total Physical Memory        16,0 GB
Available Physical Memory    12,5 GB
Total Virtual Memory        33,0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    28,8 GB
Page File Space            17,0 GB
Page File            C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support    Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V-VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V-Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V-Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware    Yes
Hyper-V-Data Execution Protection    Yes

Affinity Photo Performance screen.png

I have had the same issue with Affinity Photo just shutting down. After several days of trying to resolve the issue I have resorted to re-installing the previous version (1.85).  A word of caution if you do this, any work you have done and saved using any of the new features in the latest version (1.9) will prevent the file opening in the previous version (1.85).  However after saying that, it is much better working with the old version without this bug and I am content to wait until these bugs have been fixed before going onto version (1.9).

Thank you very much Russ7388. If one other person has this problem then it means that there is something in the software that does not work. I too will go back to the previous version for the while. As you said it is better to work with the old version and have some work done and wait for version 1.9 to be stable.

Have a good day.

Yep, getting the same problem, after I develop, and it always happens while trying to use various edits, goes "not responding" and then completely down with all my work.

It has happened with every one of my photos.

Never happened before this update, now unusable in its current form.

Update-

Ok, just tried with all my other apps closed, browser,  Canon DPP that I use to view, etc, and got through a series of edits and finished this time.  Nonetheless, it is a new problem, am thinking this new version is a bit "weighty" for my i5, 8G RAM, 512 SSD laptop?

Anyway, found the earlier versions page.  Back on 1.8.  Problem solved but for me there is no update.

I'm having the same issue, every time I load a smart filter and play around with the settings, the program freezes, the same happens when I rotate an Image. I deactivated the Graphics acceleration feature and that helped a little.

Another thing and this I consider to be a serious issue, the amount of memory used by Affinity Photo and Affinity Design, more than 1.3 gigs. My CPU's fan goes crazy, the mouse becomes unresponsive and clicking on the browser becomes a slow and stalking time wait.

Intel
(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
RAM
8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable) 64 bits, x64
Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 OS
Version 19042.746
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Controller
Version: 27.20.100.8476

3 minutes ago, samramsan said:

I'm having the same issue, every time I load a smart filter and play around with the settings, the program freezes, the same happens when I rotate an Image. I deactivated the Graphics acceleration feature and that helped a little.

Another thing and this I consider to be a serious issue, the amount of memory used by Affinity Photo and Affinity Design, more than 1.3 gigs. My CPU's fan goes crazy, the mouse becomes unresponsive and clicking on the browser becomes a slow and stalking time wait.

Intel
(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
RAM
8.00 GB (7.82 GB usable) 64 bits, x64
Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 OS
Version 19042.746
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Controller
Version: 27.20.100.8476

The same thing happens here.

I5 7200U, 8GB ddr4, 2.50 GHZ, 3.0 GHz turbo bost and Intel 620.

I've tried everything, disable OpenCL acceleration but it's still very complicated to work well.

11 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hello Feribayati, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Are you using a discrete graphics card by any chance? If so, I'd recommend making sure you are using the latest drivers. We are seeing a link between crashing and OpenCL and old graphics drivers. You can try disabling OpenCL from Preferences > Performance and see if the crashing still occurs.

Done that and didn't work. It has to be a memory problem because the app by itself consume more than 800 MB and when opening any project regardless of the size, it jumps all the way to 1.3 GB.

Captura de pantalla 1.jpg

Captura de pantalla 2.jpg

Captura de pantalla 3.jpg

Captura de pantalla 4.jpg

6 minutes ago, samramsan said:

It has to be a memory problem because the app by itself consume more than 800 MB and when opening any project regardless of the size, it jumps all the way to 1.3 GB.

1.3GB of memory use isn't very much (i.e. I don't think your problems are related to this amount of memory consumption).

8 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

1.3GB of memory use isn't very much (i.e. I don't think your problems are related to this amount of memory consumption).

Hello Mark, I've disabled hardware acceleration even before knowing it could help.
As You can see on the task's manager, It doesn't show.

I got it to work, After deselecting the Hardware acceleration I changed the renderer to WARP and the freezing went away. At lest form me it's working now.

I sincerely hope the formidable programmers at Serif find the bug and fix it, I love Affinity and I refuse to go back to PhotoShop and Illustrator.

Captura de pantalla 2021-02-09 195535.jpg

5 hours ago, samramsan said:

I got it to work, After deselecting the Hardware acceleration I changed the renderer to WARP and the freezing went away. At lest form me it's working now.

I sincerely hope the formidable programmers at Serif find the bug and fix it, I love Affinity and I refuse to go back to PhotoShop and Illustrator.

WARP is a software rasterizer, so in theory should be the worst performance. Have you tried uninstalling your Intel graphics card drivers, and reinstalling the latest version?

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

WARP is a software rasterizer, so in theory should be the worst performance. Have you tried uninstalling your Intel graphics card drivers, and reinstalling the latest version?

I updated my Graphics controller to the latest Intel® UHD Graphics 620 and that solved every problem I had.

Prior to that I had to disable graphics acceleration and change the renderer to WARP

But as I said, Updating the Graphics Driver fixed all my problems.

14 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I know, but it was either that or facing a frozen screen... I need to be productive. Anyway. As I said, finding the correct drivers and installing them fixed the whole problem for me.
Thank You for your coment Mark 🤙

Similar Issue, Affinity Photo crashes frequently that I have to save my file regularly. I wonder if it's due to the low hardware performance but my hardware is not so bad (Intel i5-1135G7 with 8GB memory), and sometimes it works smoothly.

Here are some crash reports, hope they will be helpful.

reports.7z

15 hours ago, samramsan said:

I know, but it was either that or facing a frozen screen... I need to be productive. Anyway. As I said, finding the correct drivers and installing them fixed the whole problem for me.
Thank You for your coment Mark 🤙

Mine is also the Intel 620, but I can't update. When the search is updated it appears in the latest version, but it is still in the 2019 version.

On every instance I used Affinity Photo 1.9 so far, it suddenly crashes (the app simply vanishes). Last time when I had opened a TIFF file and was enlarging the view to 100%.

Now, it crashed when clicking on develop after applying some edits in Develop Persona

Edited by tomherren
Repeated crashes