You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Anyone else had problems with Affinity Photo 1.9 crashing?

I have had to go back to using 1.8.5 on my laptop (Windows 10) because the new Affinity Photo 1.9 update keeps crashing :(

I never had problems crashing with version1.8.5....has anyone else been experiencing problems with the update? I think perhaps the update maybe too powerful for my laptop perhaps??

Edited by AITCH
Additional info

bobjala, my drivers are up to date as I got to thinking maybe that could be the issue but still no good. Filter Forge and Alien Skin in my filters list  took forever to load up and really gave my Windows 10 laptop  problems in 1.9 with regards crashing. Never a problem in 1.8.5 :(

I've also had problems with 1.9 crashing, I've just uninstalled it and reinstalled the previous version, but I can't open my files anymore because they 'contain features from a newer version of affinity'. Bit at a loss as to what to do as I'm a freelancer and I've got a deadline that I'm already a week late on for various reasons and now I can't seem to keep the software running long enough to finish!

20 minutes ago, Narf said:

I've also had problems with 1.9 crashing, I've just uninstalled it and reinstalled the previous version, but I can't open my files anymore because they 'contain features from a newer version of affinity'. Bit at a loss as to what to do as I'm a freelancer and I've got a deadline that I'm already a week late on for various reasons and now I can't seem to keep the software running long enough to finish!

Hope you get sorted mate.

1.9 looks nice starting up but contains new stuff I will never use for the most part, like helping to colour the gases in space and creating my own brushes??

I have been suggesting an image trace tool for vectorising for a while now (and I know it has been requested before on here). Such a useful idea completely overlooked :(

1.9 is laggy with Filter Forge and Eye Candy, and my screen all of a sudden returns back to Windows 10 desktop without any prioe warning......a huge 👎 from me sorry Affinity

6 hours ago, ronald618 said:

I'm having so many issues with the update that I tried going back to the previous version.

But now I find that the previous version does not recognize the files that I created in 1.9!

So now I'm stuck with 1.9 and the constant beachballs.

Truly unacceptable. 

The beta has various crash/performance fixes. Suggest you try that

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I had a feeling I'd have problems with this update when I saw that the usual dock icon has been replaced by a blank rectangle with an A on it - that happened on a previous upgrade too, but was fixed with a minor upgrade.

I've had several annoying niggles so far - mostly with tools and colours - but the only time it's crashed with 1.9 is when I tried to follow along with a recent video posted on Youtube detailing how to create a LUT from a colour grade - no problem creating the colour grade, but as soon as I went to File →Export LUT ... it crashed. I tried it three times with the same result.

We are experiencing the same issue with 1.9. It crashes every 3-5 minutes under Windows 10. I cannot see any specific pattern. Going back to 1.8.5 is no option because we used a lot of our files already in 1.9. Designer works fine but with Photo we can not work at all. You cant use Photo 1.8.5 with Designer 1.9 so were stuck now.

I hope the issue will be fixed soon. We have to export all the files for the moment and start using creativ cloud again. Our clients wont wait for affinity to fix this.

Yes, i have also problems, opend toppic but no response:

==> Can anyone support me a link, where i can download the version 1.8.5?

Thanks.

-----------

Publisher Version 1.9.0.932

I'm german speaking and i try to explain my problem in english.

Yesterday the program was new installed on my Lenovo P1 Gen2.

Worked well and i try learning and do some work - with saving the file before closing the program.

Today, i started the program again and i become an error message, found non-safed file ? why??

On the program-folder "file" - "last version open" i can find my file from yesterday and i can open it - it looks like my processing status yesterday night.

Project-File can also be found on the harddrive - 830kb - saved 10/02/2021 23:26

I can do changes on my projec, insert new pictures....

BUT: if i try to save => the program crashes!

Another try => save as => new file name is gives => while saving => the program crashes!

reopen the new file from my SSD harddrive => error message " File type not supported" - file is on local harddrive - but without any data = 0KB

next try: uninstall programm and new installing - same crappy behaviour - crashes while saving.

and: after installing new, no Log-in and register with number was needed.

Pls show me a solution, how to save my project without crashing - unfortunately it is not possible to work with it.

Not very confidence inspiring

Thanks in advance

Andreas

Edited by Andreas Wollenhaupt

18 hours ago, Tar said:

I had a feeling I'd have problems with this update when I saw that the usual dock icon has been replaced by a blank rectangle with an A on it - that happened on a previous upgrade too, but was fixed with a minor upgrade.

I've had several annoying niggles so far - mostly with tools and colours - but the only time it's crashed with 1.9 is when I tried to follow along with a recent video posted on Youtube detailing how to create a LUT from a colour grade - no problem creating the colour grade, but as soon as I went to File →Export LUT ... it crashed. I tried it three times with the same result.

I've downloaded the new Beta and it has fixed the Export LUT problem. The dock icon is correct also.

Thanks.

Until the many. many bugs in version 1.9 are fixed, I wish Affinity would give us the option to re-install 1.8.5.  I'd rather have something that works and that I can rely upon than new features I may never use.  I've been a big fan, but this is very disappointing.  Hello, Serif/Affinity, are you listening?

Open Affinity photo 1.9  loads up, chose new document, click A4, affinity closes, try  to open jpeg Affinity Photo opens and immediately closes.

What have you done?

Uninstalled, clean out temp files, restart computer, download Affinity Photo 1.9 install with name and serial number, try the above, same happens!

Can't find who said they had done this, but open device manager, select Display Adaptors, Uninstall display adaptors, close Device Manager, close windows and restart computer, check display adaptors, mine both reinstalled,  Intel (R) HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia Geforce GT 750M. working like a treat.

I suspect windows updates.

I've been looking at these forums for the last couple of days to see if anyone else was having issues and it looks like they are. Pretty much everything I try to do results in a crash. I tried to import a brush - crash. Save a .Tiff file - crash. Looks like I'll have to go back to the previous version until they get this worked out. 

57 minutes ago, Gail L. said:

I've been looking at these forums for the last couple of days to see if anyone else was having issues and it looks like they are. Pretty much everything I try to do results in a crash. I tried to import a brush - crash. Save a .Tiff file - crash. Looks like I'll have to go back to the previous version until they get this worked out. 

Good luck with that, Gail.  I've tried several times to re-install 1.8.5, and both times the effort has failed because I've already installed 1.9.  If there's a work-around, I'd love to know it.  The easiest fix right now would be for Affinity to enable users to go back to an earlier version until 1.9's bugs are worked out.  I've learned a lesson.  Never download the newest update until checking Affinity forums to ensure that others are aren't having problems.  

1 hour ago, hank schoch said:

Good luck with that, Gail.  I've tried several times to re-install 1.8.5, and both times the effort has failed because I've already installed 1.9.  If there's a work-around, I'd love to know it.  The easiest fix right now would be for Affinity to enable users to go back to an earlier version until 1.9's bugs are worked out.  I've learned a lesson.  Never download the newest update until checking Affinity forums to ensure that others are aren't having problems.  

I'll report back after I try it. 🍀

Me too! Both Affinity Designer/Affinity Photo kept on crashing ( Mac user). I can't even do anything after I opened an image in Affinity Photo. In Affinity Designer, the beach ball appeared right after I ungrouped the layers ( I have no choice, but to close the program which was also hard because it was non responsive- I end up rebooting my computer manually). I never had a single problem with these programs before the update. Is there a way to revert it to the previous version? 

Since installing the latest version of Affinity Designer,  the program often freezes and then closes when I try to add an asset from the workplace to the asset tab. It doesn't happen every time but does for the majority of times I attempt this action.  Has anyone any possible solution to this? It doesn't help to use the beta version as it is a separate install and doesn't have any of the assets installed that I need to use for my work.

• Staff

Yes you uninstall 1.9.0 first if you want to install an earlier version

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon