You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Self breaking tangents in 1.9?

I've just noticed this recently, likely related to v. 1.9 but I'm not positive; maybe I accidently engaged some previously unknown "feature".

Often, when I now select a tangent for a point on a curve, that tangent is cusped, not linear. Even if the tangent is linear across both handles it immediately becomes cusped, non-linear, when I move one of the handles. This is not because of any intent on my part. It used to take a deliberate action, holding down the 'option' key while dragging, to break the linearity between both handles. I also notice the point and handle being moved become purple when the two handles are linear, letting up at that point will again make them linear (fine by me). This is new to 1.9 so I suspect the issues I see are as well.

I suspect there is a setting or something else I should be doing to obviate this non-desired behavior?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @bpedit,

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response here!

I suspect you're referring to the new 'Delete Segment' feature - whereby clicking on a curve segment using the Node Tool with the CTRL/CMD modifier held down will delete the 'segment' of curve, between the two nodes where your Node Tool cursor is placed.

It would help however if you could provide a quick screen recording of the behaviour you're referring to, so that I can look into this further for you - thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan, thanks for the response. It's been a few days since I've used AD but I don't think I was using any modified keys to elicit this behaviour. In fact, the behaviour seemed weird because I wasn't using the Option key. I wasn't able to make this happen predictably, it seemed aparently random but not infrequent. One thing I tried was noting where I grabbed the tangent handle but that didn't seem to be it. I suspect this is part of an attempt to streamline working with points and when I figure it out I'll like it.

Edit: Upon just investigating, the Node Tool interface appears as before 1.9. When the issue was occuring, somtimes tangent handles, or maybe points themselves, would appear magenta. Could this mean I had triggered some ancillary mode introduced in 1.9? (I realize this also happens when a cusped tangent is manipulated to be in-line with its partner.)

• Staff

No problem at all, thanks for the further information provided!

8 hours ago, bpedit said:

I don't think I was using any modified keys to elicit this behaviour. In fact, the behaviour seemed weird because I wasn't using the Option key. I wasn't able to make this happen predictably, it seemed aparently random but not infrequent.

As I understand it, the only way to activate this behaviour is to hold down the ALT/Option key on Win/Mac respectively. Do you by chance have a tablet or other type device that my be activating the Option key without your knowledge?

I can also suggest enabling an On Screen Keyboard and trying this a few times in AD, as it should be obvious if any modifier key is being held by watching the OSK as you use the node tool.

8 hours ago, bpedit said:

Upon just investigating, the Node Tool interface appears as before 1.9. When the issue was occuring, somtimes tangent handles, or maybe points themselves, would appear magenta. Could this mean I had triggered some ancillary mode introduced in 1.9?

I can confirm this is part of the regular Node Tool behaviour and does not require any modifier keys to activate. As above you can use the ALT/Option key to convert the node connected to the handles you're editing to be a cusp node, with this cusp node, if you then drag the handle back to be linear with it's pair, it will change the node back to 'Smooth' and show the magenta colour in the node/handles.

As far as I'm aware, this is a visual indicator to inform you that the node has been changed due to the editing of the handles - this can't be switched on/off and is simply part of the Node tool :)

I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Your video certainly confirms what I see typically. The one intrieging suggestion is a modifier key on my iPad effecting control on my desktop. I can't begin to imagine how or why that would work. I've never ever seen an app on a device interact with one on my desktop except through intent involving a series of operations.

I am currently past the design phase of my project so am not using AD of late. If I see this behaviour again I will post back here with, hopefully, more germaine information.